Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-06-2004 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber

Soften problem Normals?

Hi,
I'm doing some headstones for a graveyard at the moment and attempting one of those with a 'Bible on the front' but am having problems 'Sotening the Normals' of the 'shoulders" of this poly model. (Always get that horrid crease down middle of the back part)
I have tried different "Hard/Soft" settings, but after a while I thought??? it may be something to do with the Normals being different because I duplicated it...or something....
I have tried some of the other EDIT POLYGONS > NORMALS .......... options but i'm only guessing really...

Any ideas how to rid the crease and still soften the back part?

Pic enclosed.... (Sorry I didn't mean to include the bok in the 'softening' - but you can see the crease on the back )

Regards as ever Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-06-2004 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
It looks like you didnt connect the back to the front. Select both the shapes go to polygons> combine, and then merge all your verticles together, this can be done by going to polygons> merge verticles.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 3 21-06-2004 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
ok thanks - I did just do a "vertex merge" come to think of it, I will check thanks....

Scrags

[EDIT] - Plus thanks a LOT I had had to do without Maya for 6Mths and was a noob then !- I had totally forgot about Polygons>Combine since, - I was just using "group" DOH!

Good job I started with Nurbs (only just done Poly's after a crash and loss) so you have REALLY helped thx user added image

Scraggy

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 21-06-2004 at 09:18 PM.
# 4 22-06-2004 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
glad to have helped user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX