Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-08-2004 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber

Terminating edges

Starting working on a model and as usual the biggest problem i normally face is terminating edges. I've attached a pic. On the right you can see the splits i've created needed to pull out the shape i want. I've gone far beyond this model and got the basic model finished but the splits you see i've continued all the way around the model. It's going to be quite a highly detailed model but i have so much detail there when using subd's it's just way too heavy. Already for just one half and it's not completed i'm at 3360 faces before converting to Subd's. I can't see where else i can termiante the edges other than taking them all the way around the model like i have without creating a load of tri's.

This is going to be rendered in Mental ray using FG and GI.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-08-2004 , 03:01 PM
why do you need all those edges? they arent doing anything?!

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 04-08-2004 , 03:10 PM
The Maya Mountain
I would ask the same question. user added image

# 4 04-08-2004 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber
All the edges are there for a reason, as i said, i'm much farther on with the model than in the image, i've just gone back to an old scene file to see how i can maybe redyce the geometery. The pic attached shows the reason for the edges.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 04-08-2004 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
This picture shows better how heavy the geometery is becoming. In the area circled i have more finer detail to add and it's so dense. Just don't know if there's a simpler way to do this.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 04-08-2004 , 03:52 PM
The Maya Mountain
Well, I think I'd just let them hang myself.

# 7 04-08-2004 , 04:46 PM
Mike's right, they're not doing any harm persay. You'd probably spend a lot of time terminating them and then not notice a difference... is it worth it?

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 8 04-08-2004 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
You mean hang as in the first image? If i convert to subd's with them just ending there the surface looks a little nasty.

# 9 04-08-2004 , 05:08 PM
The Maya Mountain
You might want to extend them a little away from the major deforming parts, but I wouldn't worry about carrying it throughout the model.

# 10 04-08-2004 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber
ok Mike, thanks. That's helps a lot