Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 211 23-02-2009 , 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Hot texture work.

/thumbs up

- Genny
# 212 23-02-2009 , 11:40 PM
Lol, texture is crap. it's just a quick mix of two old ones as a temp colour, his one is not done yet. going up a few levels now and getting into crevices...

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 213 24-02-2009 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
if I created a "crap" texture that looked like that I would be extremely happy and excited. I suck and texturing like that

# 214 27-02-2009 , 08:49 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
so this is what happens when talent meets hardwork.....you have dazzled and inspired me my friend now back to maya

# 215 27-02-2009 , 01:01 PM
Rhetoric Camel: I'm sure you are not so bad mate. It's down to practice, just keep doing it. Although every head I have made has been created using different methods as I wanted to try out all the different options.
I'll be trying a new method again for this one, HD Geometry which I just got around to using the other day! It's pretty awesome, went up to 93 million poly which is as sick as a drunk puppy but way cool. Then will use Zapplink to texture which I haven't used on a character yet. Hoping for improved results this time.
I have got a bunch of emails recently about making some tutes and so on and I am planning to put some content like that on my site probably for the next update (after the one I'm about to launch).

murambi: Thank you very much indeed, I am extremely pleased to have had that effect. There will be much much more coming, oh yes...much more.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 216 28-02-2009 , 10:13 AM
Hey Gio.

Can you get the HD geo out into a map yet?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 217 28-02-2009 , 08:41 PM
Just been looking into it and it does seem that it is actually a useless feature at this point. Unless anyone knows otherwise.

Oh well, back to the old way then.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 218 01-03-2009 , 04:19 PM
Yeah It is at the moment, thought if your final output is in Z its fine, though it is a bit pointless a the moment.

Just looking into the Z mapper myself at the moment.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 219 01-03-2009 , 04:25 PM
Z Mapper all good, but not if you have multiple uv groups in non 0-1 uv space. It wont work properly in Z3. Works in Z2 if you have the old one still around.

-G

Gio

# 220 04-03-2009 , 12:08 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
hey gio could just give a quick overview of how you made the hair and what rendering software did you use i seem to be having alot of trouble with mental ray also are your clothes ncloths or what

# 221 04-03-2009 , 12:22 PM
murambi: Hi, I use Shave and a Haircut for the hair, and render using Mental with mia materials. I plan to make some tutes in the near future if you want a step by step walk-through.

I don't use ncloth or any cloth sim software as they are not animated, I just exprt the posed figure to Zbrush and sculpt the detail for each pose individually and extract normal maps etc.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 222 04-03-2009 , 03:09 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
a tut would be great also whats the point of using normal maps i thought they were only used for games are you under a polygon budget

# 223 04-03-2009 , 03:43 PM
I am not animating or rendering realtime, so I can use higher detail models so I have less dependence on a a displacement map to give me a more accurate silhouette and form and so can use normal maps to give me just the higher level details such as skin pores and wrinkles which would be stupid to try to achieve with micro-polygon displacement alone in my opinion. This method is just faster and simpler to implement. Just whack in the normal map and render.
Although I could export the displacement as well as an option.
Normal maps are just an alternative to bump maps, with nicer results due to the extra info in them (colour channels) and are not just limited to game engines but are useful for any 3d rendering and can be used in mental ray although some of the mia shaders can be a little buggy sometimes.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 224 08-03-2009 , 08:26 PM
Hi all,

Finally got there, yes an update to the site.

10 new pages, some little tweaks to the older pages and intro and that.

Hope you all like it.

The Talos Project

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 225 09-03-2009 , 12:14 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
dude very nice have to comment in swahili "mzuri sana"user added image