Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-10-2009 , 06:54 PM

Maya Capable of Creating Dynamic/Static examples?

Hello,

I am trying to assist someone to create dynamic and static equillibrium examples for engineering classes, and to simulate certain instruments inside a lab in there as well. Would Maya be the best and most appropriate tool to achieving this?

What I need is to be able to make a interactive model that students would be able to use such as changing the amount of weight on a load and having it modify the 3d model based on material properties of that 3d model (so say if a 12 inch bar fastened on one end was made out of steel, it would be a certain shear force, yung's modulus, etc I would be able to simulate dropping a 4000 lb load on it 4 inches from its fastened end?)

I am not sure if Maya is or not the appropriate tool, it does seem to be more orientated towards conceptual design and not so much the engineering elements to simulate this. Then again, I am not sure if these calculations need to be derived in the object model or that if they just need to be represented, so 4000 lb force would = so much deformation at a contour.

I hope this is clear. Would maya be the correct choice in hoping to do this?

Thank you

# 2 24-10-2009 , 04:24 AM
Technical Director
While it might not be the most appropriate simulator for this task, I think what you are explaining can be achieved with active and passive rigid bodies and some constraints. However this may be too advanced for a person new to Maya.

I did a quick search, and came across this: https://www.newtonlab.com/English/newton/ This may be easier to use than Maya, especially for students.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.