Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-02-2007 , 08:30 AM

transform tool

ok, i'm sure this is a dumb question, but it's been bothering me for a while and I haven't figured it out.

Sometimes the yellow square in the middle of my transform tool stays flat to the camera - as in the picture on the left. At other times, the square stays flat to the world coordinates as in the picture to the right.

Not sure what I am doing to change it and changing the tool to world or object or whatever, seems to have no effect.

help! let me know if i haven't explained this very well.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-02-2007 , 01:05 PM
Never had that problem? Seems a bit strange, maybe deleting the thisory might sort it out???

Just a guess though

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 05-02-2007 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber
Try reseting the transformation tool in the settings, never had that prob myself.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 05-02-2007 , 08:14 PM
gster - yeah - it's really annoying - it's really useful to have the move tool perpendicular to the camera when you're moving vertices around - I'm wondering if it's something to do with maya 7 as I've never had this problem when I am using 6.5. I'll try deleting the history when I get home from work.

J5ive - yep, first thing I tried was resetting the tool, but no joy.

I've spent all morning at work (Don't tell my boss! user added image ) trying to figure out what's going on. The closest that I've got is a couple of websites describing the move tool as being either 'perpendicular to the viewport or axis wise' which describes the problem, but they don't explain how to switch between the two.

As I said earlier, switching between the world, object, local or normal options in the move settings doesn't seem to change anything. Help!

# 5 05-02-2007 , 08:36 PM
This is a response I just got from the autodesk maya discussion group -

'Re: move tool - perpendicular to view port?
that means you have constrainted the move axis tool to the indicated plane......if you drag at the center of the manip you get only the 2 degrees of freedom, but using the arrows overrides this plane....it is (on windoze) ctrl + clik on the arrow to deactivate that axis that does this.....works on move, rotate and scale..... '

so, hopefully that will work...

# 6 06-02-2007 , 08:48 PM
damn... if i had gone to work on monday i coulda told you sooner.

yea basically if you want to constrain to 2 dimensions you ctrl + click on the arrow you don't want things moving in... i've found that if you want to undo it, you've gotta ctrl+click inside the yellow square. haven't tried it with rotate or scale yet, but it is kinda handy if you want to move a vertex fast but make sure it keeps on the same plane. i use it a lot because trying to drag around in the perspective view can potentially give you some unwieldy results unless you constrain.

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 07-02-2007 , 12:42 AM
cool - thanks a lot for the explanation NeoStrider! I think i've got it.
user added image user added image

I knew you could use ctrl with the scale tool to transform the object with the other two axis - i didn't realise that it was ctrl that was alternating the yellow square between the world and camera. It was really frustrating cos, as you said, having it perpendicular to the camera is really useful for modelling.

Ha ha - excellent!

Last edited by arran; 07-02-2007 at 12:44 AM.