Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 28-01-2008 , 10:57 AM
you're right - it's getting there - you might want to increase your bump to improve visibility over distance, but to me it looks fine. For the metal, I might try changing the specular color, as metal usually has a different spec color than regular materials, though in your photo, it looks like the metal stand might be painted.

# 17 29-01-2008 , 03:32 AM
Got a little more welding to do on the metal work but it's nearly done. Looking into texturing the shade. I've got several images of lamp shades (all similar to the one shown here).

I could try and redraw one in photoshop, or try and manipulate the images to create a texture. I've thinking of the latter - anyone got any hints on how to "level out" the image to get rid of shadows, highlights etc? I've tried with the clone and healing tools, which can be done though it's time consuming - anyone know of any photoshop actions or tips to do this another way?

Cheers,

gubar

# 18 29-01-2008 , 03:34 AM
Image:

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 29-01-2008 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
starting to look very cool man, keep up the great work.

# 20 29-01-2008 , 03:41 AM
Thanks Aikoworld.

Any ideas re the texturing of the shade?

cheers,

gubar

# 21 29-01-2008 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber
i would extrude the edges first like in the attached image.

then apply the collors with a durt map on them. and an extra durt map on the specularity and bump.

and the collors give them a slight transparency to match the realistic one.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 29-01-2008 , 04:03 AM
I don' t think I'm going to model it, it will just be textured.

A dirt map - is that a 3d max term? What's it's equivalent in Maya - diffuse? Or am I completely wrong?

cheers,

gubar

# 23 29-01-2008 , 05:11 AM
Subscriber
no i mean on the glass material as a collor, you add durt in with photoshop or layered nodes.

If your not going to model it, then you just apply an photoshop texture. Thou i think to get the ultimate quality you should model it user added image

# 24 29-01-2008 , 09:11 AM
yeah - i think aikoworld is right - with that kind of lamp the metal between the glass is really prominent.

# 25 29-01-2008 , 09:44 AM
I think you guys are correct. I'm gonna start modeling it tomorrow - though I've found a simpler shade (same style though) which is more geometric in terms of it's metal parts. The one in the image would be a pain in the backside.

I'll post back when I get some done.

cheers,

gubar

# 26 30-01-2008 , 02:54 AM
Just an update on the shade.

I've chosen a simpler pattern. I will use it's texture as the background texture of the lamp sphere (so it's colour will be the glass colour of the final lamp) and am also using it as a guide to create the metal beading. It's just curves created on the live surface, then extruded. I was thinking of converting to polygons to weld the crossover points, but think I might actually just leave them seperate - with a bit of tweaking it may look fine unwelded - any opinions on this?

cheers,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 04-02-2008 , 08:38 PM
Completed the metal beading and started texturing the shade. The colour is done, need to work on diffuse, translucence, bump etc on the shade and beading now.

Although it doesn't look like much, the metal beading was quite a task to do. Extduded curves, then going over it all and welding it together. I maintained quads (might convert it to sub-ds) and that was a bit tricky.

Comments and crits welcome as usual.

cheers,

gubar

# 28 04-02-2008 , 08:39 PM

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 04-02-2008 , 10:11 PM
Nice work and good model.

cheers!

user added image

# 30 06-02-2008 , 12:40 PM
Update. Nearly finished, a little more welding to do.

Fairly happy with the texture and materials. The shade has no translucency yet - when I add it, it seems to just get really really bright, rather than looking like the light is just passing through.

Crits and comments welcome. Also, I wondered re lighting a scene with this. Would using the shade itself to light the scene using FG be an idea? If I did, how could I get the light to bounce around the scene? I was thinking perhaps I could also create a light, with GI enabled, that had the shade mapped to it's colour channel, placed inside the shade, but set to ignore the shade?

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I really like the idea of lighting a scene using this light and having it's light bounce around but I'm not very familiar with GI and FG.

Thanks,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails