Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 04-12-2008 , 11:56 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
if you're going for a toon-like render then go for it

is it me or are those feet not attached to his legs?

you're right the feet are not attached to his legs, if you look at the blueprints his feet are comprised of two components, attached by what seems like rod like pieces, which if you think about it logically the feet would be joint by some kind of hinge joint, ,

here's a pic

Attached Images
# 17 04-12-2008 , 12:17 PM
The Nurb Herd
I'm not a fan of toon shaders, in fact I think they're crap! I think you should render it with proper textures and not cop out. Just my opinion.

# 18 04-12-2008 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by hammer.horror
I'm not a fan of toon shaders, in fact I think they're crap! I think you should render it with proper textures and not cop out. Just my opinion.

i was thinking the same thing, i might just do booth a toon version and and a second one with real textures,

i think i can knock out a toon version in about a day or so, but if i want to use proper textures for the second one i'm gonna have to lay out the uv's for this bad boy, which isn't hard for me to do as it is time cunsuming,

keep an eye on the thread to see updates

# 19 04-12-2008 , 12:41 PM
yeah - i have to agree with hammer.horror. by all means do a toon one too, just so you can learn the process, but i'd rather see this with proper textures, maybe all grunged up.

# 20 04-12-2008 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
yeah - i have to agree with hammer.horror. by all means do a toon one too, just so you can learn the process, but i'd rather see this with proper textures, maybe all grunged up.

dont worry i plan on making it look all f*cked up, you know bullet holes and scratches, and even some dirt and blood thrown in for good measure

# 21 05-12-2008 , 05:32 AM
Subscriber
more or less done with the toon shading, can anyone tel me why i'm getting these odd lines,

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 05-12-2008 , 07:27 AM
...can anyone tel me why i'm getting these odd lines...

I used to see those lines in an older version of maya when a polygon primitive would lose it's default uv's after being modified (ie, by beveling).

Select the part, open the uv editor, and just apply an automatic mapping.

# 23 05-12-2008 , 07:40 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ctbram
...can anyone tel me why i'm getting these odd lines...

I used to see those lines in an older version of maya when a polygon primitive would lose it's default uv's after being modified (ie, by beveling).

Select the part, open the uv editor, and just apply an automatic mapping.

i think you might be right, i am using an old version of maya, maya 7 infact, and i have done some beveling, i'll give it a go and see what happens,

one quetion do you have to lay out the u.v's if you intend on using the toon shader, because i was under the impression you didn't have to

# 24 05-12-2008 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
thanks man it worked!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 05-12-2008 , 08:08 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
the colours look a little "washed out"

# 26 05-12-2008 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
i was thinking the same thing, i used a two tone shader but from the image you wouldn;t think that, because the colours look flat, anyway it's just a bit of practice,

the real textures are comming,

Last edited by jali; 05-12-2008 at 08:27 AM.