Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-01-2005 , 03:15 PM

Hiding half of the NURBS sphere in X-Ray ?

I am trying imitate the "Cartoon Dog" Tutorial frome this site.

I have done ecsaktly as told, but I seem to have a problem at the moment where I want to start creating the dogs head.

- I create the NURBS sphere and drage it into place.
- Then I turn on X-Ray, so I can see through the image.

- In the movie it seems as if you only see half of the ball. So when you want to controle vertex you only pick those on your side and not the ones on the other side of the image...

When i turn X-Ray on i get to see all the Nurbs in the sphere, witch means Its complecated to pick the right ones when modeling it...

Might just be me that has forgotten something, but if you have any clue to what might be the problem, it would help allot!

Just attached a picture of the "Problem".

Last edited by Stevens; 02-01-2005 at 03:17 PM.
# 2 02-01-2005 , 03:22 PM

Their it was

The picture user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 02-01-2005 , 03:38 PM
The Maya Mountain
If you look at the sphere in the side view, you drag a selection over one CV, it'll grab the other on the other side.

# 4 02-01-2005 , 03:56 PM
That was what I was hopping fore, but It dosen't seam to work.

When i select "Controle vertext" i get the view as the picture shows.

When i do as you say and pick one of the "dots" it only marks this single one! it dose not mark the oppesit one ass well!

And the other thing that enoys me ass I all ready sead, is that I cant seem to hide the half of the sphere as on the movie, witch would make it allot more easy to controle.

# 5 02-01-2005 , 04:30 PM

Hmm

I must have done something wrong, since it dosn't match the movie...

Attached a picture showing the problem!

- I can se through the image of the dog user added image
- When I pick a mark a CV it dosn't mark the oppesit one user added image

- So when I want to pull something I need to Sellect the CV's on both sides, And its very hard to pick the right ones with out getting wrong ones ass well...

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 02-01-2005 , 06:51 PM
In your first picture your circle isn't the right way around and will cause problems when you try to cut it in half the guy says to watch out for this and make sure it's correctly placed.

Going by your first pic.

I havn't made the dog fully but I've got up to where you are.

the circle has it's top and bottom at either side of the head, so if you are using the side on view. Trying to select a single line (isopram) you won't be able to select a single line because you will be selecting down one part of the circle or in this case 2-3 or 4 dots along the isoprams.

You first have to roate the circle around so it's facing the correct way and you will find you can drag select a whole line

The end/edge line the darkest line half way around the circle is the edge line.

You want to roate the circle so this line is in-line with the picture of the dog.

It'll be 90 or -90 degs in 1 direction, so you roate the circle first to find out what one needs to have the 90 -90 depends on how your setup is.

You also roate the circle so the edge line is heading towards the back helps when you merge the head and neck together.

In the video the guy seems to click on a isopram (line) and all the dots for that isopram are selected this was my problem and I soon gave up as it was a real hassle trying to select isoprams then fixing up others or un-selecting dots to other isoprams.

You can use the shift key to select and un-select dots etc, but your circle isn't placed right in the first place so it would have been way harder for you then you'd have gotten to the point where you cut it in half then it would have gone real bad from there meaning you'd have to re-do the whole model over because of that simple mistake done at the very start.

You need to think about things in 3D before you go ahead and do them, if you havn't used 3D programs before get ready for a real big learning cruve because you need to fully think about how you'll place shapes and move them about or wheather you need to re-shape or not.

Save often.

# 7 02-01-2005 , 07:25 PM
Thanks for the help!

I'll try playing a bit more with it then user added image

Any idea how he only sees the one half of the sphere ? Ore might it just be becouse the ball isn't placed correctly ass you say?

# 8 02-01-2005 , 07:36 PM
The other half is always there until near the end where he cuts the dog in half.

He turns x-ray on/off all the time though, that's probably whats tricking you.

The was the first thing I seen wrong for the head, watch the videos over a few times and or watch a bit then pause then do it then watch some more re-playing if you need to.

That's what i did, don't miss any of the little details but at some bits he flies through it and hard to keep up with him.

I've seen all the videos, he spends half and hour to and hour doing it I bet if he sped through it it'd probably take him about 10-15 mins doing the lot.

# 9 02-01-2005 , 08:40 PM
Thx! The problem seems to be solved user added image

See you guys around...