Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-03-2006 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber

Graphics card selection

I'm looking into a new laptop, and i've got to make a choice about graphics card...i know alias recommends the Quadro FX Go 1400 and that other geforce cards aren't recommended, but i've been looking at the specs for some, and the quadro just doesnt compete it seems...but maybe i'm missing something? Here's the specs for the two cards:

Quadro FX Go 1400
Memory: 256 DDR3 256-bit
Bandwidth: 19.2 GB/sec
Geometry: 92 Million Triangles/Sec
Fill Rate: 2.2 Billion

and

Geforce Go 6800 Ultra
Memory: 256
Bandwidth: 35.2 GB/sec
Fill Rate: 5.4 Billion
Vertices/Sec: 565 Million

The Quadro is over $200 more than the Ultra. So my questions is, should i go with the "workstation" card or the normal geforce? The 6800 seems like a better deal to me and just a better graphics card altogether.

# 2 25-03-2006 , 02:38 PM
i might get slated for say this but the only difference between geforce cards and the quadro ones I believe is the fact that they support/guarntee or whatever the drivers for them.

# 3 26-03-2006 , 07:38 AM
Subscriber
i know its possible to softmod geforce into quadro...but i don't think it works with the go versions...i think perhaps i'll just get the 6800...i have a geforce on my computer right now and i can run maya fine...it's a pretty old card though...so a newer one would perform better...just have to make sure i have the latest drivers...seems like on a geforce, using maya, the older drivers become corrupt