Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-12-2002 , 12:02 PM

Laugh till it hurts, then answer me :D

Hi there SM users and mods and Admins too

well here's a stupid question as previously promised

I now have made my first official MAYA graphic-bear with my stupid synonyms- and it kinda looked like a flying Garbage can, but that's OK, now I need to set it to be smoother than it looks, and I need to set my render to a fixed size of 1600x1200 for example, also I need to place some simple, very simple, textures, so how do I do all of this, or if you guys can point me to some tuts that would be great user added image

Thanks in Advance

Merry Christmas everyone, and Happy new year user added image
:banana: user added image user added image user added image :banana:

I don't suffer from stress, I'm a carrier.
# 2 25-12-2002 , 01:01 PM
Resolution to 1600x1200 = Window > Rendering Editors > Render Globals. It's under Resolution.

Smoothing, is it polygons? If so, Modeling Menu (press F3). Polygons > Smooth (if you go to the options box you can change how smooth).

Texturing is in the Hypershade. Window > Rendering Editors > Hypershade.

# 3 25-12-2002 , 01:38 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply man, I appreciate it so much, yes it's a polygon, and I'll try all this when I go home, btw what's the difference between polygons and Nurbs, I know Nurbs are widely used as it's easily modified, easy, huh..??

so what else is the difference, why not eliminate Polygons, My problem is I'm some how professional in other deveopment fields, and I can't just copy and paste instructions.

Thanks again man. hope to read from you soon user added image user added image

# 4 25-12-2002 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber

nooorebs..... ppooooooooollleeess

a copy and paste from the mAyA library:

Originally written by some guy who makes the maya library from Alias|Wavefront
Advantages of NURBS modeling
Proponents of NURBS modeling appreciate its capability for creating:

·
organic, flowing surfaces such as animals, human bodies, and fruit
·
industrial surfaces such as automobiles, clocks, and toasters
·
smooth surfaces adjustable over broad areas with few control points

people in the industry use nurbs for the above stuff and polygons for games(but i use about 85% polys all the time).... in my opinion, modelling using one method sucks,,, i tend to mix up polys, sub-ds and nurbs... the end result is much better... one thing i like in nurbs, when you surface(revolve.. etc), when you change the curves the actual surface changes too...(cant explain properly, but you will understand it L8R)....

btw, whats the other profession????

# 5 26-12-2002 , 06:42 AM
Hey man, thankx for the illustration user added image, and I think I know what you meant, I tried fooling around with vertices on polygons, and nurbs and watched the difference.

it helped a lot, it reminded me of the alias|Wavefront site, and the MAYA help user added image

btw the other profession, is ( choose the correct answer(s) ):

a-professional baby alligator wrestler
b-Professional nose picker
c-Professional System administrator+WEB developer
d-professioanl paranoic
e-all of the above user added image

thanks a lot for your help.

# 6 27-12-2002 , 02:45 AM
my answer is (d)

Did I get it right?user added image

# 7 27-12-2002 , 11:37 AM
Saiyan

Sorry to dissapoint you, it's (e)

but for your efforts, here's a prize, a used sock from under my bed. wear it with pride man.

Way to go, Shhhhhh, did you hear that, they are after the sock...
May be you are right, and I'm (d) after all.

Enjoy the sock, sorry about the smell user added image

*edit*

btw no kidding about the baby alligator thing, I once had to kick one of them in the, Ummm.... posterior, after all it tried to bite my toes

Last edited by el-ignoramus; 27-12-2002 at 11:50 AM.
# 8 30-12-2002 , 05:30 AM
/me still says (d)user added image user added image user added image

lol.......and that isn't your sock.....it matches the one that came out my dryeruser added image user added image

# 9 30-12-2002 , 05:24 PM
Hi there Saiyan

Me think, it's my Sock, I can identify the smell anywhere user added image

OK a small off topic question-time to get technical user added image -

I've downloaded a .pdf file that seems to give you step by step instructions for some MAYA projects, it's for MAYA 2.5, but I'm using MAYA 4, will I meet compatability issues??

The File I mentioned I got it's link somewhere here in the forum, lost the link though :o

it's called "learningMaya28.pdf" I just want to check before I start Using it, specially that I invested in a 2 U.S.$ three buttoned Mouse

I wanna make sure I'll go user added image user added image user added image instead of user added image user added image user added image

Thanka Man and best regards, btw don't hang that sock on the fire place, poor Santa doesn't deserve that kind of treatment user added image