Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 23-01-2008 , 02:04 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Oh and on the subject of key lighting, I have never, in all my life seen a case where key orks better than a more realistic set up

Erm, I think you have taken my meaning out of context a little. But then not all cg movies were rendered out with the likes of MR in the past.

Again its down to the user, you either know your stuff or you dont, its down to the artist.

Jay

# 32 23-01-2008 , 04:14 AM
Subscriber
beat me to the chase Steve.., i was reading all these posts think.., what the hell is a FUD.., Elmer FUD, Face Up Display, ..., had me guessing there for a while

in light of the complete difference in programming.., i cant see the two combining or especially.., i cant see auto desk ditching them both and making another complete app.., that makes completely no business sense.., it would takes years to just get back R and D.

and i have seen plenty of cases on set where the good old three lights works MUCH better than natural lighting (no comparison actually) .., some things are still around because they are simple and work.., some of the best tricks are the cheapest, and key lighting will always be around.., its a simple lighting system in CG too, that will be around for a long time.., if its done properly it will give renderman and mental ray a run for there GI, FG money.

witness gnomons 4 part DVD lighting series.., it will make your neck tingle and not a word about anything there other than maya renderer. there is a lot of control with lighting each object, and using shadow plates and light linking that maybe the broadbrush GI, FG approach may lack, but im talking out of school now.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 33 23-01-2008 , 04:42 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Mirek

Thanks for the backup there.

Yes thers a gnomon video by a guy called Jeremy Engleman, who is a rendering dude by trade and does all this particular tute with mainly spotlights using depth map shads for tuning then switches to standard ray tracing for the finish using MR only as a standard renderer not GI or FG, just uses it like the Maya renderer, primarily for the speed and also better result at the end of the day.

the result is just astonishingly realistic........

I suggest everyone check it out

Cheers
Jay

# 34 23-01-2008 , 04:59 AM
Subscriber
thats the one user added image yea, its a head turner eh??

# 35 23-01-2008 , 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Agent_Dick
You know, I really think we should clean up our language. Some body said "Vista", and that's the filthiest word I know. :angery:

Oops! user added image My bad!

Next time I will just use: "wonderful view of green rolling hills and blue skies" when making fun of Windows XP wallpaper user added image

Just to make up for uttering this forbidden word, I'll shout out, "Fedora!"

Originally posted by mirek03
beat me to the chase Steve.., i was reading all these posts think.., what the hell is a FUD.., Elmer FUD, Face Up Display, ..., had me guessing there for a while

Face Up Display has got to be the funniest thing I've read all day! Now I have to try not to accidentally say it when referring to them HUDs user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 36 23-01-2008 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber
and speaking of bad language.., some of the things i could/did think of for FUD.., were.., lets say.., not suitable for.., this site user added image or any site.., the imagination ran wild!!

# 37 26-01-2008 , 06:25 PM
I stand corrected. That is very impressive. I forget that keying in maya is a lot more adaptable than in real life.

I've got Windows "Spanish For View" and I am counting the seconds until I have time to put Maya on something better. "Spanish For View" is great if all you expect from a computer is effectively 98 with better, flashier graphics. It's a F***ing operating system for F***'s sake. If I'm gonna be drooling over my monitor, it sure as hell isn't gonna be when in the 5 F***ing minutes it takes to load my profile. If I had XP on the machine I'm using now, it wouldn't take 5 seonds to load up. I have to run my f***ing PC in a custom made safe mode if I want to play somthing as taxing as f***ing quake 4. I'm gonna have to break something now. :headbang:

# 38 26-01-2008 , 08:21 PM
Maybe play the first doom? I hear solitaire and minesweeper are fun games. Give them a shot.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!