Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-05-2009 , 06:57 AM

Question about modelling in nurbs!

Hey guys,

I'm in my first year at a game art school. My lecturer is 100% against modeling in nurbs, given that we're supposed to be focusing on low poly models.

My question is, are nurbs a decent way to model high poly characters for games, or are they TOO high poly once converted? I've been looking at some tutorials and most of them involve nurbs modelling to create cool characters. I'm interested, but I feel if they're not great for games then I might have to pass! user added image

Thanks in advance.

# 2 03-06-2009 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
you can low poly model with NURBS, Kurt did it.. his low poly game character tutorial was less than 3000 polys

the number of polys you get from conversion depend on how you convert it...

have a play, take a sphere and play around a bit then convert, then play with all the stuff in the construction history to try different conversion options

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 03-06-2009 , 01:27 PM
Thanks for the post. I was a bit too hesitant to play around, I guess I needed someone to put it to me straight. I might grab that tutorial.

Thanks again.

# 4 15-06-2009 , 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
you can low poly model with NURBS, Kurt did it.. his low poly game character tutorial was less than 3000 polys

the number of polys you get from conversion depend on how you convert it...

have a play, take a sphere and play around a bit then convert, then play with all the stuff in the construction history to try different conversion options

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
plz post d link of d low poly character tut......

# 5 15-06-2009 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 16-06-2009 , 12:12 PM