Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-09-2009 , 11:40 PM
Subscriber

Using the Connection editor...

I am a generalist when it comes to Maya. But this issue I am having sounds so simple, yet I still can't figure out how to get the result i want.

I am trying to get a Nurbs curve "translate Z" attribute to affect a Poly's "Rotate X" attribute. First I thought about plain 'ol parenting, or maybe a constraint of some sort. Then the connection editor came to mind, and yes it solved my issue. The curve's "trans Z" is now affecting the poly's "rotate X".

Well what I am trying to get is the poly's rotate X to be 5 times the curve's trans Z.

nurbs.curve translate Z = poly.surface1 rotate X*5

hopefully you understand and can help me.

Thanks in advance

davisdryan@gmail.com
# 2 03-09-2009 , 12:41 AM
EduSciVis-er
Would setting a driven key not work? Just an idea...

# 3 03-09-2009 , 05:16 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stwert
Would setting a driven key not work? Just an idea...

it would if you knew the limits of the translate z and rotate x, but i'm guessing davis doesn't know that so an expression would be better

nurbs.curve translate Z = poly.surface1 rotate X*5

heh, not quite what you were describing in words user added image
that says you want the tranzlate z to be 5 times the rotate x, what you said in words is you want the rotate x to be 5 times the translate z

so, what you do is this..
1. go Window > Animation Editor > Expression Editor
2. (not sure if you need to have the poly object you want rotated to be selected, but i had it when i tried this) in the expression text box at the bottom type this:
Code:
pCylinder1.rotateX = curve1.translateZ * 5;
where pCylinder1 is the name of your polygon object you want rotated
and curve1 is the name of the curve object you want to drive the rotation
3. check that you have the names of the objects spelt correctly. (i think if you have spelling errors it'll yell at you telling you some objects don't exist)
4. give the expression a name (so you can find it and modify it easily later if need be)
5. hit edit, test it by moving your curve along the z axis and see if the polygon rotates

..hope that makes sense..

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 03-09-2009 , 06:53 AM
Subscriber
Oops, yes i did mean the opposite in the expression. I thought an expression would work but i don't know MEL all that well.

Makes sense to me. Thank you sir.:bow:

davisdryan@gmail.com
# 5 16-09-2009 , 03:33 AM