Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-05-2013 , 02:16 PM

Silly, silly UV question ....

It's been a long time since I've done any serious UV'ing, so I'm a bit embarrassed to ask, but ...

When modeling something like a camera, is it necessary to have all the UVs of every separate object in the model avoid overlapping each other even if they're separate from each other?

For instance: If the lens is a single separate object from the camera body, can its UVs encompass the entire 0-1 space or should it be scaled down so it won't overlap other objects in the scene (UVs of the camera body) even if it uses different shaders and materials?

Thanks much.

# 2 17-05-2013 , 08:51 PM
The thin red line
If you have 1 shader with a number of parts assigned to it you would need to UV them so they do not overlap, I shader 1 part use all the UV space for that part.............dave

# 3 17-05-2013 , 09:09 PM
Thanks daverave! It helps tremendously to know that one shader equals one tile set. I suppose taking advantage of the tiling system would be the next step considering the amount of parts on my model.
~CG