Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-11-2006 , 04:02 PM

Planar Mapping Subdiv surfaces

I really can;t work this one out...

If i create any subdiv shape, even a basic primitive, and select Subdiv Surfaces>Texture>Planar Mapping all i get is

Error: Current selection doesn't match required selection type.

How can that not be a subdiv surface?? Oddly if i select auto mapping it splits all the uv sections up anf flattens them successfully, but i only want planar mapping. anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks, apologies if this has been asked before

# 2 14-11-2006 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
Vurt,
This command actually works on faces and not subD objects.

Basically,

1) Right-click over your subD object and select Faces.
2) Select the faces that you wish to apply the mapping to.
3) Now go back up to Subdiv Surface->Texturing->Planar[]

I stumbled across this in the online help docs. Go to Help,
search for "Map UVs onto a subdivision surface", select the first tutorial, - the one whose name is the same as the text you just searched for. That's where I got the info.

user added image

# 3 14-11-2006 , 04:24 PM
you wouldn't believe it but i actually was looking at those help pages, but didn;t manage to find the one you suggest

:blush:

sorry for being lame, thanks for the help

# 4 14-11-2006 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
No dramas. I frequently read a document several times before finding what I'm looking for. Anyway, thank-you, for now I know that little trick too.

# 5 14-11-2006 , 05:21 PM
user added image

having looked at all the notes on uv mapping, it seems far easier to sort your UVs out on your polygon model before donverting to subdivs anyway... there are far more tools like the the cylindrical mapping that make it really easy to get it all nicely layed out... think i'll try to avoid uv stuff with subdivs in the future...