Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 27-06-2006 , 04:32 AM
Subscriber
More tweaking with the lights and the eyes. I also added a bit of the upper torso. Pretty much done with the modeling I think. I guess is going back to the hair now. CC welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 25-07-2006 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
Some small progress on the eyebrow and eyelashes.

JAY, thx so much for sharing that tutorial on the eyelashes...amazing!!! I had no idea you could do such things. That technique opens up a bunch of possibilities for other things. I'll probably redo the eyelashes, so easy now user added image

I'll get back to the hair at the top one of these days.

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 25-07-2006 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
tut? whats the link?

# 19 27-07-2006 , 07:46 PM
Great work minstrel! This is looking nice!user added image

# 20 27-07-2006 , 07:56 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Minstrel

No Probs...glad to help

Jay

# 21 27-07-2006 , 09:14 PM
between the last two pictures you posted (the last one without eyebrows, and then the one with eyebrows) it looks like the baby's head got scaled down a bit... did something happen, or is it just a trick with the perspective? i think the shape of the baby's head honestly looked better in the pic without the eyebrows...

Accept no substitutions.
# 22 28-07-2006 , 04:38 AM
Subscriber
jay whats the tut you gave him, can i have the link?

# 23 28-07-2006 , 05:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

# 24 31-07-2006 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
Hey guys, thx for the comments, yes, I redid the shape of the head (it wasn't the perspective). The upper part of the head was too big (the forehead). I played some more with the eyebrow and eyelashes and I feel good enough about them to move onto the hair. But Im getting a little lazy.

# 25 31-07-2006 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
the hair looks crazy hard it's all messy in the picture how you gonna do that? i wanna keep an eye on this and see how you do user added image

# 26 03-08-2006 , 12:08 AM
Subscriber
eyebrow and eyelashes are "final". Hair on top is a test...im trying fur attached to a hair system to get some dynamics going. This picture below is one of the results. Im trying to insert a second fur system to fill in the spaces but im getting some strange results. I need to play more with it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 05-08-2006 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
Trying some new things, experimenting with hair contraints, very neat stuff.

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 05-08-2006 , 07:43 PM
Looking good minstrel!

At the moment I think the eyebrows are a little bit too strong. I think you need to thin them out a bit.

I like your hair experiments!

# 29 07-08-2006 , 01:46 AM
To me the eyebrows look to thin and sharp actually, like they have been plucked, and usually girls in that age doesn't pluck the eyebrows user added image Make them a bit thicker but not so sharp, either make the color or the fur gradually fade out.

# 30 07-08-2006 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
The issue with the eyebrows is right on the money, i played quite a bit to try to get the right density to it, and try to unsuccesfully simulate the fading using "custom equilizer maps". I did not think of fading the color to achive that effect, very good idea...i'll have to try that (perhaps mapping the opacity might also do the trick...). The good new is that I played with the lighting and amazing how changing the spot light (the main source light) to an area light completely changed the look. I'll post an image tonight but i am very pleased how the eyes really come out, as well as how much softer the eyebrows appear. My only issue with using area lights is that the shadows have some artifacts forcing me to crank up the number of rays coming out of the area light making rendering about 3-4 times longer than when using the spot light. I am using something like 55 rays...which is huge compared to the 15 i was using with the spot light, and the artifacts are still not completely gone (I'll have to go even higher to 60-70 rays). Not sure if there is a way to blurr the shadow to eliminate those artifacts without having to increase the number of rays...Any ideas?