Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-10-2004 , 12:52 PM

Bump Map?

I am having a little trouble understanding what a Bump Map is....... any insight?

# 2 07-10-2004 , 11:28 PM
a bump map is pretty much shadows that are painted on the texture ( not literally) it gives it shadows depending on where the light sources are coming from.

I think thats a good way to explain it.

# 3 08-10-2004 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber
Pretty much, it is a texture that gives the apearence of a 3D surface without changing the geometry.

I think lighter colours means high and dark low, or it might be the other way round user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 4 08-10-2004 , 02:41 AM
Pure white is the highest, absense of all colors (black) is the lowest. You can alway set the bump depth to negative if you make it the other way around by accident.

Its like the mesh is a cloth and the cloth is like layed over a pattern. Its like pulling a cloth over dirt, you get the dirt's bumpiness, but the cloth's color,specularity, ect. This is basically how I see it anyway. The images can have color too, because the bump reads the Value, in the HSV (or HSB, Brightness), of the pixels. This is the dark-light bar in the color picker.

# 5 08-10-2004 , 02:50 AM
Thats basically all about a bumpmap -- you can also note that the ORIGINAL purpose of a bumpmap from my memory was designed for game manufactures so they could give the appearance of high polycounts with a lower polycount... I believe theres a new one coming out called (I think) Normalmaps... which basically takes a 1mill+ model, squishes it to 50,000-100,000 polys, but has a map which gives the detail of the 1mill model... also can be used for lower polycounts, I'm just using what I remember of the Unreal3 engine's faq.

Here's a pic of a bumpmap for mastercheif's mask:
user added image
And a render of the model I applied it to.
user added image

# 6 08-10-2004 , 06:46 AM
Subscriber
Welth of information here user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 7 08-10-2004 , 05:45 PM
THANKS FOR ALL O THE INFO GUYS !!!

# 8 09-10-2004 , 04:13 AM
One last thing, as visible in my image when making bumpmaps by hand... blur tools/filters are your friends -- create a transition between the elevations to make it look somewhat gradual in elevation changes.

# 9 09-10-2004 , 06:55 PM
One more thing which I found helpful.

When creating a bumpmap by hand in Photoshop -- have a 3 layed project. 1 background layer, 1 guide layer (be it the actual texture, or a UV Unwrap snapshot), then your layer. Have your layer be on top and draw over the guide layer the bumps you need. Then delete the guide layer, merge, and either export, or invert colors (if you want black white, and white black, and all inbetween switched) then export. It uses the same UV unwrap as the rest of your texture, so you may want to get to learn how to texture before you bumpmap...