Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-01-2005 , 04:00 AM

Maya->UT2004 Export problem

HALP!!
Here's a rough, untriangulated view of the model I'm working on:
user added image
I rigged and roughly skinned the model, threw together a cruddy animation test, and exported it into UEd. This is what it looked like:
user added image
What happened to the wings?? It looks like the wings were in a transporter accident.
I'm using Maya PLE 5. Here's the file (minus textures) that produced this beauty: [clicky clicky for a zippy]

Suggestions?

# 2 04-01-2005 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
hmm did you use the default rig you can down load? or make your own. If you made your own, you need to make sure all the joints are named correctly. Make sure you have created a character set for it as well before you export.
P.S
Your model rocks!

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 3 05-01-2005 , 12:44 AM
> hmm did you use the default rig you can down load? or make your own
I made my own rig, complete with wings.

> you need to make sure all the joints are named correctly
What exactly does that mean, "correctly"? They're named similarly to the human male rig, which is similar to Neofin and JunkyardMech and Raptor (three player models with their own rigs), and all use a Bip01 prefix. There's a link to the .mp file in the first post if you want to see the names I used.

NOTE: Upon further inspection, I noticed that the local rotation axes of the right side are inverted from the left, presumably an artifact of mirroring the rig sections. However, the right side still ought to work.

I also noticed that even though the local rotation axes are correct on the left side in Maya, UEd sees some of them differently. The left knee, for example is pointing straight down rather than down the shin.

> Make sure you have created a character set for it as well before you export.
Got one, and I also have a test animation clip that will run in UEd.

> Your model rocks!
Thanks! Now if I could only get it to fly...

# 4 06-01-2005 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
Hi.
Sorry for the late reply, ive been away. I couldnt open the file you attached cause full version of maya wont open the personal learning edition files.
So i ive attached the skeliton that i used, just go through the joint names and check them. Cause if you dont have these correct you wont be able to import the animation sequences from the other characters.
Besides this sorry i really dont know whats happening. I do know that if i messed around to much with the rotation of the skeliton i got heaps of wierd stuff happen once i imported it into unreal editor. They recommend you mod your character to fit the skeliton instead.
Cheers

# 5 06-01-2005 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
oops i forgot to attach the file user added image

Attached Files
File Type: zip unrealresorce.zip (100.9 KB, 157 views)

# 6 07-01-2005 , 03:10 AM
Thanks, but as I mentioned above, I'm creating my own rig, a non-humanoid skeleton. I don't want to use existing animation, I want to create my own because the wings are to be animated. If I wanted to use existing animation with existing skeletons, I could (and have) done it with Milkshape 3D. I've even used the skeleton you supplied and replaced the animation. But I want to do something more interesting than *yawn* another humanoid fighter *yawn*.

# 7 21-01-2005 , 01:30 AM
A final note for closure should anyone hit this thread with a similar problem:
In an act of desparation I deleted the joints starting at the wing wrists, rebuilt them, and all was well. I have no idea what was wrong with them. I discovered along the way that using the rotate tool to orient joints while building the skeleton seems to be a bad idea. I wasn't able to run "joint -e -zso"; Maya gave an error message that said the command couldn't run because of the existing rotations. So I zeroed the rotations and used the move tool to get the joints where I wanted them. Then I used "joint -e -oj xyz" to get the local rotation axes straight.