Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 07-04-2005 , 07:22 PM
Subscriber
cool

additional support:
Background to White:
go to camera attribute editor - environment settings and stick the background to white user added image that way it won't render the icky black user added image saves you having to sort it out in photoshop (unless your doing some post production stuff)

Presentation:
Stick the head on a wooden platter user added image and make it the centre so it grabs the eyes attention and for the final image, have a prespective view shaded, front and side view smooth as well as a wireframe (these front and side view relatively smaller)

of course you don't actually have to do any of it, but may give you the edge to win user added image

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 17 08-04-2005 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
dude thanks a lot for the suggestions! user added image
You are by far one of the best people to commet....lol....I wonder why no one else suggests anything.....maybee it's that goood lol
awwww anyway....
I was curious....how can I render with wireframe? Or should I do a screen capture of the wire and then photoshop it onto the actual render......i'm not sure how to go about this.
Tomorow (Friday) im going to be in school with my maya proffesor to do the last bit of tweaking (which i keep saying is the last day but it never turns out that way lol) and hopefully have a final image so I can print it out, frame it and submit it for the annual student art show user added image
im excited!
Wish me luck!
Thanks for the support Cung!

# 18 08-04-2005 , 12:43 PM
Subscriber
wireframe rendering tut:
https://www.jozvex.com/tutorials/wireframe.html

mainly have to do it in hardware rendering, all the stuff for presentation just makes it look good, user added image cheers for your comments!

wish you all the best in the art show! user added image

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 19 09-04-2005 , 12:57 AM
Subscriber

Wow, u have come a long way

Great work Dana. You seem to have learned alot about maya and stuff. Im happy now that you took the time to help me out with stupid crap I tried(it makes me feel................useful for something). Keep up the great work, you really are getting good.

Last edited by alienscience; 09-04-2005 at 01:01 AM.
# 20 15-04-2005 , 06:47 PM
Subscriber
Well good news....I made it into the art show user added image
I don't have the final image, but i'll try to get one user added image

Right now i am in the process of making the body....which seems a tad more complicated.
I just have a hard time getting started.....any suggestions?
I want to have him with his outfit already....am thinking to do the sane thing as the head and just start out with a cube and extrude like a happy school girl tee hee user added image

Anyway, expect updates soon user added image
Thanks for all the support you guys!

# 21 15-04-2005 , 06:49 PM
Subscriber
here is a sketch idea for the costume....commets and suggestions very much welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 15-04-2005 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
pants are baggy in strange areas.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 23 28-04-2005 , 03:23 PM
Subscriber
hey well i have done part of the body......
its in a basic early stage i want to tweak and see if I can do wrinkles and stuff.....user added image
I was curious......
I want to make the hands, but like there are a certain number of verts on the sleeves.......should i make the hands have the same number of divisions??
hope u guys get me.
anyway hrere goes nothing.

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 28-04-2005 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber
hi there

good job on the head so far keep up the good work I'm looking forward to seeing more updates on this in the future...

I have one or two comments about that real quick that you may want to take note of and look at

I looked at your wireframe, so far layed out pretty decent, but layout from the eye down to the mouth kind of needs refined just a little....make them curve in the other direction from eye to mouth it should work out better that way when you go to do lip syncing with the character...

now to the mouth, in your wireframe and your hardedge picture I noticed your edge loops don't go around the mouth as they should. If you look at the muscle structure of the human head, you'll notice that the oral cavaties around the eyes and mouth are nearly the same. The oral cavaties around your eyes look good, your mouth needs to look the same all the way around instead of broken up.

Your nose seems a little too wide, you can just use your lattice tool to shrink it down.

if you take a look at some anatomy books you'll see what I mean...I personally use 2 anatomy books when I model humans they help out immensly

also site 3d.sk is a very excellent source for reference you have everything from clothing to nude models to even animals....

I also have a book called Stop Staring, its an excellent source on how to model shows you how to layout the mouth do ears and eyes and how to connect them among other useful information....

Your concept art looks very good, but whats missing is your 3/4 views...your 3/4 views will help out in depth perception for your character

also try to add a little more detail into the shirt and pants to show things like wrinkles seems and pockets, similar to what you did with the pants

Another thing I noticed is they seem to be more generalized than stylish. If you add in some more detail based on what the character's background is you'll be able to model everything so much easier.... so always add as much detail as you can when doing concept art... that doesn't mean you have to use it on your model, but it does help when creating characters...

thats it from me... I hope all that helps and I'm gonna be looking forward to seeing your models in the future