Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-04-2005 , 06:11 AM
Subscriber

My own fat head

Before anyone complains that it doesn't look anatomically correct, you should know that unfortunately it's pretty close. Yes, it's based on my very own fat head, a 3d self-portrait if you will. Still a long way to go though. Nostrils definitely need some work and my eyes are more creased... damn the years. This will be my practice at a full head model. From mesh to texture, so it should be ready by the time I retire in 2007.

Attached Thumbnails

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 29-04-2005 at 06:14 AM.
# 2 29-04-2005 , 07:14 AM
Subscriber
How did you make it? Did you take photos of yourself?

Are you going to finish it off? Can't wait to see what you look like user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 3 29-04-2005 , 11:58 AM
this is cool! a self portait - leiwand!

I would be interested in the mesh and how did you start the head? I mean what kind of method did U use to put up the main proportions? boxmodeling or nurbs maybe? the bump on the check may be result of a trigon/5-gon - so U might used poly/subDs?

I´m curious cause I find it hard to decide how to easiest put up the basic shape of a head.

take your time, but keep it up man! I´d really like to see it finished.

# 4 30-04-2005 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
It looks very good and I hope you won't retire in 2007 like you said lol:-)

# 5 25-05-2005 , 04:52 AM
Subscriber

edge loops, arrghhh...

Got around to playing with this again. I never claimed to be fast.

- Mister p., I do indeed plan to retire in 2007, from the Navy. Hopefully I'll have Maya down well enough to do something with it. I'll be 40 then, still a lot a miles left in me... I hope.

-Falott, I'm using edge extrusions only because I like the way detail is added as you go vice starting with a bunch of vertices then having to manipulate them into place... but that's just me. I've seen your full body WIP, so I know you're well ahead of me in modeling ability.

- Paul, yep had a coworker snap some shots of me, with little X's all over my gourd.

To all, still a long way to go, and the edge loops are kicking my... while trying to get everything back into quads. I suppose thats one major advantage with starting with a cylinder or cube... oh well the whole point is to learn isn't it.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mhcannon; 26-05-2005 at 10:24 AM.
# 6 26-05-2005 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
Ok, getting closer on quads all around. couple tris in some corners, but no n-gons. smooth test. now to give myself some ears. C&C welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 26-05-2005 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber
Its looking good so far Michael,

Can't wait till you get a little further on so we can see what you look like user added image

# 8 26-05-2005 , 12:54 PM
Wow! Now I have an idea of what you look like. Its good, its very good, in fact. My only complaint is that you look completely blank there. I know you will fix it after you fininsh the main shape, so its no prob. Cool, keep it up!

Cheers,
,Matt

# 9 26-05-2005 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Paul, Matt,

um... I do look completely blank in real life too. Still a long way to go. If you guys see anything goofy please let me know. Working on the ears now. problem is I have tiny ears that don't stick out from my head much so I have to work pretty close in. Will hopefully have an update later tonight.

# 10 26-05-2005 , 04:16 PM
Do you have no hair in real life (just a question) or did they shave it off for the Navy? And your lips look like someones tryen to shove acid down your throat and your not letting them.

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 11 27-05-2005 , 07:17 AM
Subscriber
Okay, as promised update with ears...mostly. no ear canals but you get the idea. Tomorrow, finish the ears then add some eyeballs.

Matt, not bald but close cut (high and tight as the Marines say). Lips are a bit pursed aren't they... must have been self-conscious having someone take my pic with x's all over it.

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 27-05-2005 , 07:28 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
mhcannon

Are you gonna animate the face? If yes then the tris around the mouth area will cause you a headache also the one at the eyelid isnt ideal. Also dude I spy an N-gon but Id rather have these than a tri on this type of model as at least they are four sided.

Also if you are doing animation you may want to reconsider some of your edge flow especially on the cheeks. Just my 10p's worth of facial nagging

Regards

_J

# 13 27-05-2005 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
Jay,
Animation is a long way off, but I will definitely work on your mesh comments. hah told you guys the edge loops were bothering me. Must be some mental block, but I'll get there. I'll post my latest mesh if you would be so kind as to break out the red pen regarding reroute of edge flow.

So whats up on Outlwaws? The alien guys look good. Get him in a scene already user added image

# 14 27-05-2005 , 04:48 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

Cool, edge looping is a piece of piss (easy) so dont worry. I'll send on some stuff to you later to give you an idea of how to apply it.

Yeah Outlaws is just a bit slow right now as Im just tiiiirrrred and Im busy with stuff around the house. But Im trying to finish the Alien dude for this weekend model wise. Then onto another one. I'll update the site too on the news page later so you have all the ins and outs over last couple of weeks regarding Outlaws.

Later
_J

# 15 28-05-2005 , 09:26 AM
Subscriber
Okay Jay, or anyone else for that matter. Mark away! user added image

Attached Thumbnails