Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-03-2005 , 06:35 AM

Rigid Skin: getting more than 1 joint influence?

hi

I've got a polygon model I've rigid skinned. Now i need to add more than 1 joint influence to a couple of the vertices.

Anyon know how to do this? Seems like if you start off with rigid skinning, it doesn't allow you to put the points in more than 1 joint membership?

I really don't wanna go back and skin it again using smooth skin... please help!

thanks
Lori

# 2 08-03-2005 , 06:19 AM
ok after much experimentation, i realise that you can't have more than 1 bone influence on a rigid skin vertex.

however you can increase or decrease the influence of that 1 bone on the vertex via painting weights (nearer or further from the bone).

hope that helps someone...

thanks for reading user added image

Lori

# 3 07-03-2006 , 05:31 AM

exporting rigid skin membership to a file?

I would like to know if is possible to import/export the membership and it's weights to a file.
PLEASE REPLY

# 4 25-03-2006 , 09:10 AM
Hi Lori,

You probably found a solution already by now but thought I would give you my thoughts incase you havent solved this issue.

The way you would get a smooth skin effect with rigid binding is to use something called "indirect binding" where instead of using the joints to drive the skin you use the joints to drive a lattice for example where you need better control....that way you can have smooth skin effect on parts that need it while using a rigid bind.