Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-07-2006 , 05:16 AM

adding textures

i have a pree made object that i want to add a texture to. ive been fooling around and got the texture i wanted but i cant figure out how to put it on the object... some help??

# 2 04-07-2006 , 03:35 PM
create a shader in hypershade. map the color channel with your texture and mmb drag the shader over your object or rightclick shader and choose -> assign shader.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 04-07-2006 , 09:16 PM
ok i tried uploading the entire set but it was too big so ill just attach the board, becuase that what im trying to edit..
but here is a pic [hide=chess set]user added image[/hide]

ok so im making a wooden chess board, i want to have the wood texture, and have black 3.5x3.5 squares on the top and the rest to be wood, could someone show me how? and as u can some of the peices are semi transparent if i could also get that to go away that would be good too

edit: i guess the hide command doesn't work

Attached Files
File Type: mb board.mb (85.9 KB, 189 views)
# 4 05-07-2006 , 09:22 AM
there are different approaches to make your texture. first you could create a plane with 8x8 squares. then extrude them and asign 2 different shaders to each of the extruded squares. otherwise you could use a layered shader with a checker-pattern (maybe turn down white color a little) assigned to transparency and/or the color channel of your plane. if you need to have a semiTransparent effect on one sort of your squares, think about to lay another plane on top of your chessboard - which is solid shaded - with another transparent shader adjusting specular channel or so. nevertheless you could create a shadernetwork without any extra geometry. I´d have a look at the helpfiles for hypershade.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 5 05-07-2006 , 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Falott
there are different approaches to make your texture. first you could create a plane with 8x8 squares. then extrude them and asign 2 different shaders to each of the extruded squares. otherwise you could use a layered shader with a checker-pattern (maybe turn down white color a little) assigned to transparency and/or the color channel of your plane. if you need to have a semiTransparent effect on one sort of your squares, think about to lay another plane on top of your chessboard - which is solid shaded - with another transparent shader adjusting specular channel or so. nevertheless you could create a shadernetwork without any extra geometry. I´d have a look at the helpfiles for hypershade.

i figured i would have to do somthing like that... but i cant get the textures to show up, it nevere changes how they look and i need someone to shoe me how to do that

# 6 05-07-2006 , 08:11 PM
if you want the textures to show up in the viewport, try hitting uhhhh the 6 key...

if you're talking about rendering the scene and the texture won't show up, that's a whole other can of worms...

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 05-07-2006 , 08:34 PM
ummm ok 6 worked... i feel stupid.... thank you :bow:

# 8 05-07-2006 , 10:14 PM
i have a checker texture pattern but i only want one color, i want the other space to just be empty how do i do that, i cant find a way to change the transparency form the checker thing