Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 23-10-2006 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
well he asked me in my thread how do i get my edgees the way i do. anyways, without the bevel, the edge will be to sharp and a car edges are more rounded so with the bevel, you get a rounded effect insead of a edge thats sharp like a razor blade user added image

# 17 23-10-2006 , 07:47 PM
wow thanks for the help.... i really appreciate it... whenever i get the time I will try it out!!!! thanks

# 18 23-10-2006 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
its looking nice

but to get rid of the sharpness u put the slits fruther away from the original eges means it will be more round

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 19 23-10-2006 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
it does but the edges become to soft then. once they are too soft that start looking fake.

# 20 24-10-2006 , 07:06 PM

new update

Thanks pbman and turbo... Here are a few updates I have done before I read what you guys posted... check it out and tell me what you think!!! thanks

Wireframe Smoother Front
user added image

Wireframe Smoothed Back
user added image

Wireframe Smoothed Side
user added image

Wireframe Smoothed Interior
user added image

Wireframe Smoothed Top
user added image

thanks

# 21 25-10-2006 , 03:32 AM

problem....

ok I ahve encounter a problem... I am connecting all the verts from both sides of the car and I am doing the front bumper... Now I combine the two polygons and then start merging all the verts taht connect the bumper.... but when i got to sub d it, it doesnt do anything... it stays as a polygon. However before I combine it and they are two seperate parts they go to subd fine... if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

# 22 25-10-2006 , 03:36 AM
open the option box for convert poly to subd and raise the base mesh settin up. default is 1000 keep raising it till it converts.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 23 25-10-2006 , 12:09 PM

thanks

Thanks for the help Kurt.... I tried what you said and it still didn't work so I looked into the script editor and it said there was a manifold error and it couldn't convert. So I did a cleanup and then tried to convert and it still didn't work. Then i raised the maximum basse mesh faces to 2000 and it worked!! Thanks again

# 24 25-10-2006 , 07:17 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi,

I've modelled the same car (i didn't do the interior though :headbang: )
nice interior user added image
i've included my final render below and yes without interioruser added image
looking good btw

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 27-10-2006 , 09:27 AM

thanks

Thanks appreciate it!! Your render is great!!! You did very well on your car... I am pretty much done with the modeling portion and I am about to jump into the texturing portion however probably after i will tweak some parts of the modeling user added image . Ill post some shots of when it is partly textured soon!!! Thanks everyone again

# 26 28-10-2006 , 01:10 AM
I have a means to bypass the mental ray carpaintshader which(at least on my computer)takes very long to render.. .
i don't know if your tutorial explains this, but i've attached an image below of the shading network.
keep in mind that the granite must be very fine in order to make the mettalic simulation work if you have any question let me knowuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 29-10-2006 , 04:26 AM

test render

Sorry for the slow updates... I have had a lot of midterms recently... here is a little test render of the body of the car!!! tell me how it looks.... my tonight or tomorrow I should have more screens posted!!! thanks

Test render
user added image

# 28 29-10-2006 , 06:05 AM
hai,

Although i'm not really an expert in maya since i'm doing this for approx. 1 year after work so not even full time , i will try to give you some pointers;

in the attached image i have marked some points that i think should be fixed
-1- if i'm not mistaken the hood is rounded out and not straight, second i think you should delete some faces along the line and the extrude the edges downward to add depth(the reason i extrude edge is that when you smooth your car in the end you can turn on keep border edges otherwise it will smooth to strong)
-2-this is the place where the bumper is (look at my picture to see the difference)
-3-this perticular corner should be rounded out some more(look at the ground)
-4-smooth out the bottom part so that it is asmooth line
-5-a little obvious perhaps, but i'll say it anyways; this needs smoothinguser added image
-6- i' m not sure if i see this correct, but around the bmw-emblem there should be a sharp edge line.

Also don't try to smooth everything give it some hard edges in certain places

Well i hope i didn't discourage you user added image

Good luck

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 29-10-2006 , 06:18 AM

Thanks

Discourage.... ahhh never!!! All this is help!!! Thanks!! For you saying that the front needs to be smoothed ... i know because I only smoothed the body for now just to see how the paint is... for all the other parts of advice I will try to change and make it better!!! Thanks for the help!

# 30 29-10-2006 , 06:41 AM
Your welcome!
did you use the mental ray carpaint shader/ clearcoat?
I don't know how fast your computer is but if you have a pretty slow one like me(especially for this kind of work)i would reccommend to use "my" custom shading network to speed up rendertime

good luck i'm going to sleep now

(off topic; do you have the same problem with rendering as i do; the thing you want to see first ,shows up last, hence maya=evil)