Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-10-2006 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber

Maya and Half Life 2/ Garry's Mod 9

I'll try to make this a brief as possible but try to stay with me as I explain my problem....

Basically I've been spending a lot of time trying to make models that I can use in HL2, more specifically Garry's Mod. Now, I have found that the more popular application to use is 3DS MAX. Valve has added a plugin for Maya that comes with HL2 that imports and exports .smd files that you can use to compile your model for HL2 and Garry's Mod. After a lot of testing and chatting with others I have finally figured it out, and been able to create models within Maya that can be compiled for HL2 and Garry's Mod. So what's the problem? Well, I'll show you.

Here is an image of the Importer/Exporter:

user added image

And the Output window after it is Exported:

user added image

After the .smd has been compiled and a view of it within the HL2 model viewer:

user added image

And finally a image of it in game:

user added image

Now obviously I've added some arrows pointing at my problem. Maybe its just me, but my model is now like "inverted". Im getting a transparent face so it looks as if you can see the inside of the model and I don't know why this happens. Also, it is only the face of the model that I am facing in game. Thus if I am facing the back of the model, the back face becoms transparent. At first I figured that the compiler would be causing this, but that can't be because it compiles correctly and is able to spawn in game. Any thoughts from anyone would be helpful at this point. Thanks!

davisdryan@gmail.com
# 2 19-10-2006 , 02:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
are your normals reversed?

# 3 19-10-2006 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
Yeah I should of thought of that. DUH! Once again Mike you've solved my problem, and I'm sure it wont be the last. Thank you again!:attn:

user added image