Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-10-2006 , 07:28 AM

trouble trying to run Polygon>Smooth

i have a model of a head which i have been shuffling back and forth between smooth and low Poly's all of a sudden i crash every time i try to run Poly>Smooth it is very frustrating ... it has not stoped me as there are many ways to skin a cat but it concerns me that maya is not working as it should ... is it me?

# 2 24-10-2006 , 05:53 PM
try deleting your history.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 24-10-2006 , 11:13 PM

thanks for your time

yeh, I thought it might be that ... so I tryed it ... still crashed ... it is not fun:headbang:

# 4 25-10-2006 , 02:02 AM
Subscriber
maybe if you post file someone can run smooth and see if it crashes ? also are you using maya 7 or 8 ? what video card ?

# 5 25-10-2006 , 11:17 AM
Senior Software Developer
Try Polygon -> Cleanup click the non-manfold option in the option box to ensure the geometry is clean. Also you are better off going from Poly to Sub-D and back again, and avoid polygon smooth IMHO.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 27-10-2006 , 09:04 PM

i have fixed it ... tho' not realy an answer

i had an earlier version of the model so it was not too much rework . it would convert to sub D but would not smooth ... i fiddled for ages looking for 5 sides and triangles (the convert to sub is good this way as they blow apart if they not Quads- makes it easier to see them) none of the other sugested methods seemed to work. i finaly tryed the quadraglate tool again (i had allready tryed it many times buit this time it worked - i have full funtionality back ... i guess my question is was it a combination of me fixing the bits i found and maya fixing the bits it found that got me there in the end or something else user added image I dont feel confident with the solution ... nice to be moving forward again tho'

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"