Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-12-2006 , 11:07 AM

Poser --> Maya

Some of the models and the like made for poser are great - and they're not all that expensive either, especially if you don't feel confident modelling people yourself (or are just learning user added image ).

Is there any way to convert/import poser files into Maya, so they can be animated etc.

I think I remember hearing about a way it could be done (a software piece or something similar).

Thanks

Last edited by Naja; 05-12-2006 at 11:10 AM.
# 2 05-12-2006 , 05:02 PM
If I remember correctly, Poser can export to .obj files which Maya can import.

# 3 05-12-2006 , 05:10 PM
Really, are they any good? Do they bring across all the textures, rigging and the like, and are they the same high quality? If they are, that would be great!

Thanks for the reply. Is there a demo/PLE of Poser so I can try it out?

# 4 05-12-2006 , 05:25 PM
Poser models and objects were originally .obj files anyways made in some other app as Poser doesn't actually support the making of models so there would be no quality loss. However as for the textures, rigging and everything else I am not so sure about.

I recall that Poser has to export a rigged and posed character in .obj for importing into Bryce, a app I used to use a while back and the textures and stuff where all there. However, I have no idea how Maya would handle it. Further more, import features between different apps are different, so an export which may work in one app may not for another.

As for the demo version of Poser, there is one but I think its very old (it was the last time I looked). Anyways, the demo wouldn't support exporting, importing or even saving so it would be of little use (except for playing around with).

# 5 06-12-2006 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber
obj formats only contain geometric data and no rigging nor animation.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 6 06-12-2006 , 12:52 AM
Oh - OK, that's fine. As long as the model still looks great, it will give me some good rigging practice (and I was always going to animate in Maya).

Thanks for helping me out.

# 7 06-12-2006 , 01:19 AM
Sorry for double posting, but I think (hope) I've found myself an easy solution. I get DAZ Studio (which is free and supports all poser files), load the files in it. Export as obj. and import into Maya.

I'll try and see if it works (especially as I don't want any of the fancy rigging and the like, just the model and textures).

# 8 06-12-2006 , 05:55 AM
It worked! Thanks for all the assistance guys.