Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-03-2007 , 03:51 AM

How do I texture different parts?

How do I make different projections for differant areas of my object? For example if I have a human and want to make a different projection on the arms.

Help is most appriciated. user added image

# 2 01-03-2007 , 03:25 PM
Subscriber
Know what you mean.. UV mapping is something I'm still trying to get a good grip of. Been trying to work out how to efficiently UV the cartoon dog for ColdWave..

Well, if your human is a poly model it's not too tricky. Just select all the faces that make up one of the arms. So pretty much from the shoulder to the wrist.

Then do a cylindrical mapping operation (PolygonUVs->CylindricalMapping) Click on the little red T then you can adjust it by rotating and scaling it to suit. I guess you'd probably want the seam to be facing the body, or down if your char is modeled in the 'T pose'.

Then you've got the 'fun' of trying to get those faces to match up properly with the faces on the rest of the body if it's a 1-piece skin. Using the default polygon shader (I think that's the name Maa gives the shader it creates with just black and white squares)

It's probably worth mentioning that it's not a bad idea to have the UV editor open while you adjust the rotation and scale of the mapping so you can ensure the mapping is centered on and runs parallel to the direction of the arm.

Hope this gives you a start Weyu.
-Simon.

# 3 01-03-2007 , 04:08 PM
Thanks got it working now. ^_^

I didnt have a human just took that as an example but I will most likely create a human sooner or later so thanks alot. user added image