Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-04-2007 , 07:42 PM
Subscriber

possible to attach curve to curve?

hello, i was just wondering if its possible to attach a curve control vertex to another control vertex curve?

i see an option in Edit curves and when i try something like that i get an error saying, "No curves selected to attach. you must select pairs of curves" what does that mean?

could anyone help me out?

thanks so much, marlon

# 2 08-04-2007 , 02:49 AM
Dont you select the control vertex then go snap to point? and snap it to the CV of the other curve you want it to go to?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 08-04-2007 , 03:18 AM
You can also snap CV's (as well as verts) to curves by holding "c" and middle-mouse-clicking (much like you use "x" to grid snap, and "v" to point snap).

# 4 16-04-2007 , 05:15 PM
Subscriber
Sorry havnt replied to this, been too busy with exams/school lately ...

what i ment was is it possible to like join them together not really snap them together? what i mean is like, with polygons you could combine the two objects then grab two vertices from both objects and join them together ... is there a way like that for curves?

thanks, marlon

Last edited by marlonjohn; 16-04-2007 at 05:18 PM.
# 5 16-04-2007 , 07:50 PM
Dont think so mate, might be wrong though.

# 6 16-04-2007 , 11:25 PM
Senior Software Developer
There is the Attach Curve option!!!

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 17-04-2007 , 12:06 AM
But I think that the attach curves option mkes on continous curve by attaching the 2 ends of the curves not by attaching a an intersection

# 8 17-04-2007 , 12:41 AM
Thats exactly what it does. Thats the only real attach option. there is also bits in the Animation menu to bind geo together. Have a look in the help files for what you are looking for.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 9 17-04-2007 , 11:10 AM
Subscriber
hmm, thanks for the help guys but i dont know if there is an opition like steve said :S i tried all the options like "edit curve" in maya and all them options such as "attach curve" but its not really what i wanted ... it just attached any curve to the other curve lol. hmm looks like ill just have to tackle another approcht to this :S

thanks for the help guys,

# 10 18-04-2007 , 01:06 AM
OK.

I have been looking at this. And I might have a solution for you:

Try using the Constrain>Geometry Option and once done you should be able to move on curve along the length of the other. Or if you want (which I think you do), you select the main curve and both will move together.

Remember to get the effect right you will have to ammend the pivot point on one of the curves.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 11 20-04-2007 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber
having abit of trouble chris, where abouts is "Constrain>Geometry Option" seem to cant find it :S

# 12 25-04-2007 , 04:11 AM
Im using Maya 8.5 for that example and its under the Animation menu set. In Maya 7 it can be found in the same place. Also remember to select the curve you want to constrain last and the other curve that it is to be constrained to first.

Frst Curve Acting as the path and the second to be tied to it.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter