Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-04-2007 , 02:44 AM

Fur problems

i don't use maya often, but one of my students is making a minotaur and when he selects the chest and applies fur, the fur is only in the corner joints and mouth, not on the chest. What setting does he have wrong?

# 2 25-04-2007 , 04:24 AM
Senior Software Developer
Being a teacher should you not know that!!!

The Maya help files have lots of info in there about Fur/Hair and its settings.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 25-04-2007 , 07:47 AM
One of the main things to do before you apply fur to an object is to UV map it, as that's more than likely the problem

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 25-04-2007 , 07:54 AM

idiot

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Being a teacher should you not know that!!!

The Maya help files have lots of info in there about Fur/Hair and its settings.

Listen jerk, i teach 3 classes with dozens of software titles. We've had Maya for ONE semester. I guess you don't remember college (if you've even went), but having the money for training isn't the school's first priority. Get a life and quit insulting people on forums.

# 5 25-04-2007 , 08:42 AM

Re: idiot

Originally posted by jprice1000
Listen jerk, i teach 3 classes with dozens of software titles. We've had Maya for ONE semester. I guess you don't remember college (if you've even went), but having the money for training isn't the school's first priority. Get a life and quit insulting people on forums.

chill dude.....

anyway, it is most likely the UVs. I had this problem when I was modelling some grass on an island.; the UVs were ugly and so all the grass grew out of one spot on the edge of the island and none anywhere else.

# 6 25-04-2007 , 10:08 AM

Re: idiot

Originally posted by jprice1000

I would have taken the original comment as a joke, no need to get heated up about it, and looked into the suggestion of looking at the help files as they tell you the workflow for using the fur system, as a tutorial.

On a side note, I would have thought that training staff on a software that they are going to teach others would be a priority, otherwise whats the point of having a class using it?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 25-04-2007 , 11:16 AM

Re: Re: idiot

Originally posted by gster123
I would have taken the original comment as a joke, no need to get heated up about it, and looked into the suggestion of looking at the help files as they tell you the workflow for using the fur system, as a tutorial.

On a side note, I would have thought that training staff on a software that they are going to teach others would be a priority, otherwise whats the point of having a class using it?

sorry, its been a long week. i hate typed comments because you don't know the person's intent.

actually the class isn't a Maya class, its computer graphics studio. the students learn flash, after effects, premiere, real flow, dreamweaver and lightwave (which i know much better). Schools usually get money to buy software for classes, not training for the instructors.

# 8 25-04-2007 , 11:33 AM
Senior Software Developer
LOL, I have a wicked sence of humour and I really think that the RTFM rule applies for a lot of posts on the sites. So dont take my post as offensive (Isnt that right gster user added image )

My suggestion of always reading the Help Files first as they answer nearly all your questions first. Since you post above saying its not a maya class would have killed my post instantly. I would suggest that as above UV Mapping prior to Hair or fur is the best course of action tbh.

user added image No hard feelings user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)