Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 23-03-2007 , 05:01 PM

Dreadnaught

Day 1
I found this free tutorial on another forum. Hoping to learn some non-organic modeling skills. The tutorial is not the greatest but I'm kinda likin it because it's forcing me to figure things out on my own. Overall, it seems pretty easy so far.

Attached Images
# 2 23-03-2007 , 05:05 PM
Here's a picture of the mesh. 13,939 Polys.

Question: I thought 5 sided poly's were bad. There are many in this model. Also I thought edge lines weren't suppose to dead end into another edge line unless it was a border. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Attached Images

Last edited by Perfecto; 23-03-2007 at 05:08 PM.
# 3 24-03-2007 , 03:55 AM
Day2a,
More progress, but the guy doing the tutorial seems to have no concern for 5+ sided polygons. There seems to be so many now. The tutorial seems to go against some of the principles I learned in Kurt B., Dog Tutorial and Human Modeling Tutorial.

22,221 Polys.

Attached Images
# 4 24-03-2007 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
Depends what the purpose of the model is really, if you're making something for a film or a commercial for example, that isn't going to be smoothed, then to be honest your models can be made like crap and still look fine on screen. If you're planning to smooth anything later, 5 siders will become a big problem.

If the 5+ siders are planar (all verts completely flat to eachother), and you won't be smoothing later, then chances are they won't really matter. If they're on any kind of corner, it may look poo when you render, as all models are triangulated at render time and leaving it up to the renderer where it decides to put those triangles is a bad idea.

Hope that helps.

Edit : by the way, a pretty simple solution to this entire issue is just make it as you want it to be. By this, I mean why not make it all quads if that's what you want? Or model quads and where applicable use tris (which is not such a sin - as I mentioned before, everything gets triangulated at render time anyway). It would be very easy to get everything back to 3/4 sided. Use cleanup to find the enemies, then get rid of them one at time.

Last edited by petrol; 24-03-2007 at 08:43 AM.
# 5 24-03-2007 , 12:25 PM
Day 2b,
Thanks petrol, for the explanation of nSided Polys. I'll go back and fix things to my own liking, as you suggested, before I get any further. Here's a little more work that I did this evening.

56,207 Polys.

Attached Images
# 6 25-03-2007 , 09:09 PM
Sorry everyone but this may or may not get finished for a little while. I've decided to take part in one of SimplyMaya Challenges in the challenge forum.

If you really want to improve your skills, I encourage you to enter the challenge. Don't worry about your skill level (I've only done 3d for 3 weeks now). The challenge will force you to really do your best, to stretch yourself and your imagination.

Good luck everyone and hope to see you participate.

# 7 04-04-2007 , 07:09 PM
Looks good so far; is that the one from 3d palace?

# 8 05-04-2007 , 03:32 AM
Hi severinianthony, it is from 3d Palace (wasn't sure I was allowed to mention other forums). I decided to take a break from my other project (challenge forum) today and finish the Dreadnaught. Here it is finished. Overall, it was pretty simple, extrude, extrude, extrude. It took a total of 3 days.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 05-04-2007 at 03:40 AM.
# 9 06-04-2007 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
ahh very nice. just like the one in the tutorial. i've got it but havent found myself making it.
try the gi joe tutorial on 3d-palace for the dreadnought. it'll give you a decent result on your hard work.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 10 06-04-2007 , 07:07 PM
Thanks, I'll try to download it tomorrow at work.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 11 08-04-2007 , 03:00 AM
Well, I downloaded GI_Joe. Here's the result. I think I still might light the previouse render better...possibly. What do you think? If one's better than the other, why? Thanks.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 12 08-04-2007 , 05:30 AM
Acid44
looks good man i tried this same tut a while ago but i gave up after the first half of the toe... something i need to work on would be continuing my projects

... but anyways... good job man keep up the goooood work

# 13 08-04-2007 , 07:06 PM
Subscriber
ahh your gi render is much better. nice clear and some good shadows.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!