Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-07-2007 , 04:29 AM

Turbine Wagon

So I am new here, but not new to the modeling world . It's nice to see a place that's full of Maya users user added image

I've worked on this some time ago, and it was for a small speed contest on another forum, I sketched/modeled/textured/UV Mapped in only a week so some parts were a bit rushed, so I decided that I should go back and work a bit more on the model. I think this model is pretty original and if who knows it may go to my portfolio if it's nice enough.

Do you like it? Give critics and comments

:attn:

Front View Render:
user added image

Front View Wire:
user added image

Back Render:
user added image

Back Wire:
user added image

The tri count is 2,8k and I will make use an alpha map for the part in the turbines.

# 2 05-07-2007 , 04:32 AM
Neat idea! Looks great, it just looks like the bottom wood planks of the wagon are a bit thick and unbroken, the surrounding wood planks are skinny and cracked and dont match up to the lower ones.

Yay, not a freshman anymore!

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 05-07-2007 at 04:37 AM.
# 3 05-07-2007 , 04:36 AM
:attn: :attn: I like it user added image

# 4 05-07-2007 , 04:36 AM
I see what you mean, you are right about being a bit thick, but I also though since it's a wagon it should carry a lot of weight even more with a Turbine in the back user added image. If the woods were too skinny they could break. But I will make them slightly skinners and the ones from the sides a bit thicker.

# 5 05-07-2007 , 04:39 AM
Also (this is just a suggestion) it will make it look amazing adding some detail to the turbine. Such as the fan inside. Again this looks great!

Attached Images

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 6 05-07-2007 , 05:37 AM
@kinddoggofwar; that's the part where I will Alpha Map, it's the part of the texture where I will need extra work.

This is the current progress of the texture, the back part is the part that really needs work, because when it was the contest I payed much more attention to the front part.

user added image

I'm using a 512^2 Diffuse map.
I tried to give an old look for the wood. Tell me what you think.

# 7 05-07-2007 , 01:54 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Scionic
Welcome to Simply Maya.

This is a very refreshing piece of work to see. Perhaps you should try a hi res version with more detail especially around the engines etc. Nice job though overall

Cheers
Jay

# 8 05-07-2007 , 05:55 PM
Great Idea, looking forward to seeing it develop.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 05-07-2007 , 06:58 PM
Thanks for the comments, I don't have yet much experience in creating huge detailed models, I would like to and I make some models with some details, the problem is when I start to detail things I want to add every single detail and my computer can't handle more than 150k tri's without having slow-downs... :headbang:

Anyways I worked on the back...
user added image

There's one small UV Map error on the turbines, easy to fix. I will see if I add a normal and specular map to bring some more details to it.

# 10 05-07-2007 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
sweet idea!
I think the biggest area that needs improvement are the wood bits
Since that takes up the majority of your model I'd work on that first. At the moment with a 512 the grain of the wood doesn't read well. It's too blurry, so I'd say you should either increase the texturespace of that part or try to hide it with a different more linear pattern.

# 11 06-07-2007 , 03:15 AM
I kinda see what I mean, but I really want to keep this with low-specs, also I think when I finish creating the normal map and the specular some details will pop-out more.

I made a render with a very soft normal and specular map to test.

user added image
user added image

# 12 07-07-2007 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber
Wow! interesting and i like it alot ... only crit is that you could try find some higher res textures so that it does not display stretch marks if you get what i mean,

# 13 07-07-2007 , 07:49 PM
I think the model looks great.
I hope you don't try to drive this thing.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman