Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-12-2002 , 06:11 PM

Extruding Curves question

I'm working through some 3D tutorials from a book that basically builds a bladerunner-styled sci fi blimp with a billboard mounted on it....goes through all 3D principles but in a general way.

Now, I'm trying to get a feel for the curve editing tools and am confused about something while building a simple billboard. I created a rounded rectangle in the sideview using 4 arcs, attaching 3 of them, then closing the curves. When I extrude the rectangle it looks like a fan belt with the edges bevelled. Isn't there a simple way to draw a 2D shape that's completely shaded and bevel the entire thing not just the edges (to give depth like a cube or other primitive)?

# 2 01-12-2002 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber
(?) user added image

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 3 01-12-2002 , 11:29 PM
Eh, me and my bad descriptions again.user added image I was thinking that I could use curves in a similar way as the 'create poly tool,' where you draw your shapes point-by-point then once you close it, it creates a surface. Then, you can just extrude the face. I can create the billboard that (poly tool) way....I just need to figure out how to make rounded edges. I keep thinking of curves based on my Illustrator use where the shape will fill when you close the path (in the default anyways). It would still be interesting to learn if the same thing could be achieved using curves in Maya.

# 4 02-12-2002 , 05:11 AM
You could use a planar.

It's under Surfaces > Planar.

# 5 03-12-2002 , 02:21 AM
Ok, that works but it still won't allow me to extrude without picking two separate curves and a profile curve.

# 6 03-12-2002 , 03:27 AM
Subscriber
I do not think you can extrude a surface. But I havent tried though.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 7 04-12-2002 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
try lofting....

# 8 04-12-2002 , 05:38 AM
SM Alumni
Create the shape curve, then loft it. Now you will have solid sides but holes in the top and bottom. Just choose the top and bottom isoparms and Surface>Planar
user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 9 04-12-2002 , 05:05 PM
Ah, that's exactly what I was trying to do....you guys rock! One other question: After creating the planes from the isoparms, I've been trying to "attach surfaces" by selecting isoparms on the original lofted curve and each plane but no dice. Am I missing a step? I've been reading the help files on "attaching surfaces" and it seems like it should work but it's not.

# 10 07-12-2002 , 04:19 AM
Anyone?

# 11 16-12-2002 , 01:40 AM
Trimmed sourfaces cannot really be attached.
Planar creates some trimmed sourfaces user added image
Btw, what on earth is supposed to do rebuild sourfaces-> trim convert?

# 12 16-12-2002 , 03:11 AM
It's ok, I'm using BevelPlus now which does exactly what I needed, without lofting or using planars.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."