Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-12-2007 , 11:40 AM

more z-stuff

Think I agree; the z-channel checkbox was probably put in to fill an otherwise empty space. When I render as softimage (pic) I get the separate z-depth files (though in a different folder) but even when I move them to the same folder as the image files Adobe after-effects doesn't display a z-channel (it's supposed to automatically import the depth files with the images as long as they are in the same folder)
I think my lack of knowledge of After-effects is to blame here.

Spamming my thread? I have no idea what that means, but it doesn't sound very hygienic. LOL

Any help here will be appreciated.

# 2 06-12-2007 , 08:28 PM
I personally use shake but use the default .iff Maya render type which has z depth embedded, if you don't have a file type with z depth imported into after effects, AE will not presume that there are associated z depth files. Import them separately or use .iff.

# 3 10-12-2007 , 12:17 AM
Cheers. Will try it. Strange that both Maya and After effects have so little on the subject in their help-files.

Anyway, thanks. Have an animated smilie beer on me.