Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-01-2008 , 06:32 PM

Un-Parenting and Mirror Duplicating

Howdy y'all.

I've recently begun to build a model of a Predator Ahnnilator from Warhammer 40k. After nearly 3 days of work or so on just the model alone I've gotten this much done. All I gotta do now is to Mirror Duplicate this highlighted area in red. Following the directions from the maya help page, I set the Translate and Rotate values to 0, and the scaling to -1 using the X position. But for some reason, I keep on getting this weird little straight line seen here. Even after undoing my problems and attempting the Mirror Geometry feature, I still get the same results.

Any suggestions or similar scenarios on how I can get out of this problem?.

EDIT:
Forgot something else. For some reason, my copy of MAYA also won't let me unparent an object.

# 2 14-01-2008 , 01:31 AM
Subscriber
your 'copy ' of maya will let you unparent.., try re-installing.., if not, its not maya its 99% probability its you.., if your not sure down load the PLE version and see if that works.., or read the 'unparenting' in 'help' if you havent already.

try scaling in another direction.., you might have the projects rotations different from the tuts..., eg.., try scaling in Z... also remember when mirroring like that, by scaling in a direction.., the pivot point needs to be in the middle of the completed object.., which means it must be exactly on the edge of your model (before mirroring) when you scale..,

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 14-01-2008 , 10:39 PM
Still got problems with Parenting, but the mirroring tip worked. Thanks.

# 4 14-01-2008 , 10:51 PM
Lifetime Member
Select the child (not the Parent ) and hit shift P to unparent, if your hot keys do not work for some reason you can open the outliner and select the child in the outliner and MMB drag the child out of the parent group to unparent.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner