Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-09-2008 , 01:15 PM

How to color a rocket trails cloud?

I'm trying to get a nice flame/smoke effect for a missile that I'm going to use in an animation.
I can get a very nice smoke effect but nothing flame wise.
How can I make the cloud particles change color,glow intensity and so on with age ?
That should make my attempt at a realistic missile in flight possible user added image

Last edited by jm82792; 05-09-2008 at 03:20 PM.
# 2 06-09-2008 , 04:22 AM
Subscriber
Do you have complete or unlimited version of maya because for flame type stuff I would use fluids, if you are just using particles you will need to give us some more details on how you have shaded your cloud etc.

Chris

# 3 06-09-2008 , 08:46 AM
Exaclty. Also, a missle doesnt really show flames in its' trail, just a super-hot red/blue glow, that quickly tapers to smoke/steam.

A rocket, or meteor will have flames before the smoke, so is that what you are trying to do?

If you look at the pic below, I made this trail using a basic particle cloud renderType, and just tweaked the colors/intensity in layers in post.
SAMPLE

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 06-09-2008 , 01:49 PM
I have the PLE version user added image
Basically it's just cloud particles from a omini emitter at the appropriate emission rate. It's shaded with a
Here is a render of what I'm trying to do(no missile yet I'm just using a sphere for now)
It needs more tweaking(smoke color,lifespan,opacity etc) but overall if I could just get a small amount of flame then smoke I'd be happy. I thought about a second emmiter but my computer doesn't support hardware rendering so I can't render anything but blobby particles,spheres and clouds.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 06-09-2008 , 02:17 PM
Well, instead of explaining what tons of others have explained over the years, here is a link to a free tutorial explaining the technique I learned from many, many years agouser added image

I think it will get you exactly what you wantuser added image

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutori...cs_fx/205.html

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 06-09-2008 , 02:22 PM
Thanks user added image