Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-12-2008 , 12:07 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Tutorial suggestion

Hi guys

I have a suggestion for a tutorialdvd -series

I see many tutorials on the internet on the different disciplines of 3d, but nothing which shows the whole pipeline.
To clarify; you have a dvd which explains rigging for instance, but not a dvd that explains how to animate with the character that you just have spent hours rigging.
If you then buy an animation dvd it explains it with another character and/or rig

It would be great if everything’s connected;
So let’s say you make a dvd series about a farmer or something like that then you could integrate several disciplines into one integral project instead of loose projects;
-preproduction--; Planning out everything ;camerashots etcetc
-Character/set ---; drawing the farmer and set, creating the sourceimages and setting them up in maya,
-Maya basics--; here everything get’s explained about maya interface/modeling techniques/how to put stuff on the shelf etc, so the tutors don’t have to go over some things again and again(which sometimes gets pretty annoying)
-Shading /texturing--;sss shading, how to paint realistic textures etc
-characterrigging--; rig the farmer
-MEL--; how to make a custom window /automate tedious tasks
-Animation--;plan what the farmer will do at the farm,animate him and his surroundings
-VFXadd some extra effects(wind blowing up some leaves/ etc)
- lighting--;(creating a hdr image, implementing hdr/lighting the scene for animation etc, )
-rendering--; DOF/Atmospheric dissolving(the effect that objects that are really far away turn blueish) /FG/GI/photons etc.)/shadowbaking
-compositing--; How to put together all the rendered material and make a short movie out of it.
Apply some postproduction eyecandy etc.

I know it's a lot of work to create a tutorialseries like this but I am also quite sure that if you decide to make something like this that you”ll have a one of a kind tutorial series, that as far as I know doesn’t exist …
And if you make the bundle price like $500, I am absolutely sure that you will sell a lot of them

Just my two cents..

# 2 30-12-2008 , 12:55 PM
SM Tea Boy
It's a great idea in fact we have been discussing something similar for the past couple of months

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 30-12-2008 , 05:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Oh yes!! but as with all good stuff, you're just gonna have to wait!

Jay