Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-01-2003 , 05:36 PM

help with projected planes

ok i am trying to remove the top projected planes, because i cant get them to come out right, in align with the other 2. I know how to create them now but deleting and rotating i have no idea of.

Do i have to rotate the main image or can i do it in maya?? how can i remove the 2 that are already there. (the one slicing through the side and one under it)

btw this is the subaru tutorial i am trying out user added image

thanks
XK

# 2 20-01-2003 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber
You can rotate either the image itself or the plane it is on. It is easiest to rotate the plane. Select it, then select Modify>Transformation Tools>Rotate Tool or simply select the rotate tool on the tool box on the left side of your screen. If the tool box is not there, you probably accidentally removed it. To make it appear, choose Display>UI Elements and make sure "Tool Box" has a check mark beside it. Anyway, to delete stuff simply select the object you want to delete and press delete on your keyboard. It's as simple as that.If you're new to Maya, I would highly recomend learning the basics first and hold off on the car model. There are free tutorials here at Simply Maya that you can download. Once you have mastered the basics, you should think about joining the VIP section for more advanced training. And as always, ask questions.

# 3 20-01-2003 , 07:11 PM
yea but i cant just select and delete it. Its a projected plane using the camera tool. not a plane polygon which is what you're thinking of

to change texture or properties i go under view>image plane
i just want to know how to remove that image plane.

thanks
XK

# 4 20-01-2003 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
ahhh interesting user added image ppl tend to like using the poly plane method, i dont! good choice user added image
anyway
to delete image planes, delete by type and it shud be there
or you could go into ur hypergraph, delete the node there

to rotate, select the image plane, hit ctrl A to open the attribute editor, then u have options like scale, move etc etc user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 5 20-01-2003 , 07:38 PM
ok select & delete would give me
"Error: Non-deletable node 'top' cannot be deleted."
both in hypergraph & in perspective view.

delete by type doesnt have image planes only delete all by type.
That deletes all the image planes which sucks user added image the only thing i can do is hide it from hypergraph. I got the rotating part right, but now i have to images for image plane

user added image

If anyone has a tut on how to do this using poly planes I'll try that user added image I havent learned how to add the textures yet on polys :o

# 6 20-01-2003 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
Well, I don't know if this is what you want, but you can open hypergraph, choose the camera tab, right-click the camera that has the projected image you want to delete, then choose Graph>Show Upstream and Downstream. In the bottom section of hypergraph it should now show you the camera and the image. Select the image and delete it.

As far as the polygonal plane technique goes, it's real simple. You create a plane, scale it however you want, right-click it, choose materials>assign new material>lambert. The attribute window pops up. To the right of the color tab is a B&W box. Click it. Select the "File" texture in the window that pops up, then press the folder button to browse for the image you want to put on the plane. Make sure you display the textures by pressing 6 and you're done.

# 7 21-01-2003 , 12:39 AM
that worked Darkware! sweet user added image

as long as we're on the subject,
which way do you guys prefer using??

i know Nem votes for the image plane

# 8 21-01-2003 , 03:23 AM
Subscriber
I never use blueprints, but if I did, I would use poly planes.

EDIT* And just in case you don't know, you can always go into a side or front view and press 6 to view your model and the blueprints. Doing this asures that you will model everything in proportion.

Last edited by Darkware; 21-01-2003 at 03:26 AM.
# 9 21-01-2003 , 07:30 PM
Subscriber
mmm image planes user added image they tend to slow down ur pooter a lot tho user added image
oh, i think the problem was in the hypergraph, you tried to delete the top ortho view?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 10 22-01-2003 , 07:14 PM
After playing with both image planes and using poly planes when making nurbs objects I am going to stick with the poly planes method.

I have found it much easier to accurately set up the planes to get them scaled and lined up. Also find that with a front and rear camera setup for orthographic views, it is much easier to move the planes around to get them out of the way when I need to.

Steve