Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 20-04-2011 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber

You havent seen Steves sculpts!!!! Im going to fly over to the Motherland young ben and slap you!!! LOL

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34415

Tch...yeah. I remember him...the minotaur.so smooth...im still in the mindset of wanting to cover everything in minute details, where sculpts like that are so good for being strong enough to not need overdoing.

Last edited by ben hobden; 20-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.
# 17 21-04-2011 , 01:39 PM
Subscriber
I played for a couple of hours yesterday morning trying to adjust the pose to something more interesting. I have the feeling from the get go im fighting a losing battle with this one. It's such a pain, because i had been working on another model which I was really pleased with...isnt always just as you think youre starting to get somewhere, you do something bad...

Ive flattened out his face as much as I can because I think of everything, that was the part I was least happy with. I got Ryan Kingsliens character modelling book through the post yesterday, which from the little ive flicked through it so far, looks to have some good reference for anatomy, which I might look at to try and help me rebuild the face. Although the character he builds is female, Im sure some of the foundational sculpting tips I can apply to this.

But then...

Had to take my cat to the vets, she was struggling for breath recently, getting very old.....she was 17 and a half...She started having trouble breathing in the waiting room, and died a couple of minutes later. Awful. Such a sad day. So Ive rather lost my appetite. May continue later.

R.I.P Rosie xxxx

# 18 21-04-2011 , 03:43 PM
Lifetime Member
R.I.P Rosie xxxx

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 21-04-2011 , 04:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sorry to hear the sad news, Ben. Take some time. Good luck with your model once you get back into it.

# 20 22-04-2011 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
wait...what...? that's really sad... my dad couldn't sleep for 4 days when our cat died... hope you're ok

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 21 22-04-2011 , 12:04 PM
Subscriber
Thanks. She's been in the family since 1994, and my bedroom was her favourite room to sleep in. She often used to wake me up in the mornings sitting outside my bedroom door and scratching on it and mewling for me to let her in. She'd wake me, Id drag myself up, open the door, and she'd skip in kind of cheekily, jump up on my bed, and fall back asleep quicker than I would. I guess I wont spend so much time picking cat hairs off my clothes. I perhaps wouldnt have taken her to the vet of my own accord, but family decided it was the best thing to do and I was in the best position to do so...but I think it was the stress of being in the vets, and being taken their in her basket...in the car, which she HATED....which finished her off. I literally saw her struggle to take her last breath and tried to call out to her and stroke her to bring her back....but their was nothing that could be done. Poor Rosie.

I did a lot of work yesterday in the end. I started on the face, and used that Ryan Kingslien book to help rebuild it in terms of its basic shape. He's pretty expressionless but I think I prefer it to how it was before.

Then I moved onto the body and spent alot of time chiselling away at the legs in particular. The thighs are now my biggest issue with it. Havnt even started on the hands and feet really. I think Im quite pleased with him from the waist up but theres still alot of work to be done. I might repose his fingers a little more also.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 22-04-2011 , 12:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Looks like a mean fella Ben.......will look good once its chiseled out some more mate!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 23 22-04-2011 , 02:37 PM
SM Tea Boy

Looks like a mean fella Ben.......

Hey you'd be mean to if you could't get no satisfaction user added image Nice sculpt one of my favorite games.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 24 22-04-2011 , 02:48 PM
Administrator
Hey Ben, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Don't beat yourself up though about taking her to the vet, my little monsters are just the same when you put them in a car, and you were just trying to do what was best for her. Also she had a long and happy cat life, think about that instead. Here's a funny little cat animation for you user added image

YouTube - Simon's Cat 'Cat Man Do'

Sculpts looking good, great progress.

# 25 22-04-2011 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
ha ha! Thats great and cute, and just like how I was explaining when Rosie used to Wake me up user added image...excellent.

# 26 22-04-2011 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
Needs the scar and some work on the hands but lovly job

# 27 23-04-2011 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Tweetytunes, the scar Im thinking of near the end with the fine details/alpha stuff..Im trying to get everything else just right first so I can enjoy that stage without worrying that I've rushed ahead too quick.....

I wanna get his shorts right, but I cant find any decent reference for what I have in mind. Have stuck them on him but dont like the way they are going so will probably start them from scratch...

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 24-04-2011 , 01:03 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL David...yes point taken he he he he

bullet1968

# 29 27-04-2011 , 01:57 PM
Subscriber
A few small updates on this. Ive been adding his bandages. I ran into a problem when using transpose master and lost alot of the lower subdivision levels. Ended up using mesh extraction for the bandages, and have slimmed down his right knee/shin/calf areas. With the deadline looming Im wondering about how and if I will be able to get this back into Maya, or whether to carry on working on it as just a high level sculpt as Im pretty pleased with it and dont want to end up rushing it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 27-04-2011 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
Am actually gonna have a go at retopologizing this, now. I am going away for a Stag weekend on Friday morning so doubt I'll be done by then, but I figure, I shouldnt be changing the base shape too much from here on, so if I can create a base mesh now, it may be up to holding any details I might add in future, else...I could make another one and put it all down to practice. Either way, I'll see how this retopologizing goes. Never done this before.

Attached Thumbnails