Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-04-2011 , 05:45 AM
Acid44

Ready For Launch/Some Competition

No competition really, but my forums are ready for launch I think. Wanna check it out guys? Even if you don't join, any help is appreciated. I'll be looking for moderators for the first little while, so be good and stuff and you may get a spot.

https://www.CemetaryCG.FreeForums.org

# 2 20-04-2011 , 10:29 AM
SM Tea Boy
My advice take it or leave it as you see fit. Getting people to use your forum is bloody difficult. SimplyMaya had between 50 and 100 new people a day sign up for the forum, you see them post? Unless you have a USP getting your forum going is next to imposable. Especially with a forum like yours as you have categories for everything. Which means your forum is always going to look empty especially at the start, and empty forums are like empty restaurants no one want to go in.

Cut it down to 3 or 4 forums and target a more specific group of people. Then give them a reason to join and you may just stand a chance.

Just my 2c. Good luck
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 20-04-2011 , 12:39 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok mate I have had a squiz....I know SFA so ignore me. I agree with David, there are a lot of forums mate....I would reduce the Design/Art down to 3D, Music, Physical...at least that wont seem so daunting I guess...sub-forums?? CCG community I would put Music and Movies together..these days they go hand in hand..Gaming and Tech together...Books and Academia together..these all seem to be complimentary to each other...well to me anyway! LOL....I think the ideas you have are cool....the only gripe I have are ads bro....hate the damn things....again I know SFA so ignore me...I can build you a road however...or a bridge etc..I can do that.

All the best with it mate...I will check it out some more tomorrow mate...good on you for having a crack! (Aussie slang for having a go at it...nothing to do with bums..)

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 20-04-2011 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
i find the fluorescent green makes it hard to see...

i had a forum once... i think it's still around too. it's blue probably like all the other forums of that time...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 20-04-2011 at 09:20 PM.
# 5 20-04-2011 , 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah definitely cut down the number of forums because people aren't going to be thinking "Ok the site is new, no biggie", they're going to think "This site is dead" and then move on, they won't come back and they won't tell others about it. Expand when you need to, games/tech/movies/books sounds like off topic/general chat to me, a new cg site having specific forums for those might be too much too soon.

If anything a 3D forum with wip, finished work, help, etc sub forums would work. And on the new thread creation page the user is required to choose a software package from a dropdown menu as to what the thread is related to. That way there's a tag on the thread (maybe on the left?) so people know what they're clicking on.

From a design standpoint, I like the graphite look but the green for the borders is really saturated and I find it to be distracting, especially with the layout being so wide, I almost didn't see the white text in it. The wide layout is creating a huge gap between the centered text and the left aligned text, it creates a disconnect. I don't know about the banner text, maybe something simpler, and you need a logo meng.

- Genny
# 6 20-04-2011 , 09:49 PM
The thin red line
Hi Acid44
Do you mind me asking what you thought was lacking in this site, I think I have said enought in the past about this............dave

# 7 22-04-2011 , 03:05 AM
Acid44
Sorry for quick reply, but I'm feeling under the weather at the moment. I'll be more in depth when I'm feeling better

@DaveRave - If you mean what do I find lacking in SM, absolutely nothing, just kinda wanted something to call my own

@Gonna lump the rest into one (sorry) - Thanks a lot for the suggestions, once again I'll get onit once I'm feeling better. About the theme, I cant do much about it at the moment. They have a bunch of themes to choose from, and you can only personalize it if you buy a certain package (which I'm not going to bother with unless something actually comes of this). As far as the categories go, I thought it would be better to have all the sections right away, instead of trying to expand later, but I definately see what you guys mean about it looking empty and people moving on, and will address that.

Thanks a lot for the help guys

# 8 28-04-2011 , 03:05 AM
Acid44
So, I've spoken to someone who had the same idea as I do now, and I think I'm just going to abandon this. Seems to be way too much hassle for no outcome.

Thanks for the suggestions though, guys. And if I do ever start a forum and go through with it I'll definitely dig up this thread user added image

# 9 28-04-2011 , 05:28 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

So, I've spoken to someone who had the same idea as I do now, and I think I'm just going to abandon this. Seems to be way too much hassle for no outcome.

Thanks for the suggestions though, guys. And if I do ever start a forum and go through with it I'll definitely dig up this thread user added image

That's the same conclusion everyone that has tried it has come to.
I the only way to make it work is if you have something else that is popular that's linked to it....

Does this extend to your blog?

# 10 28-04-2011 , 05:33 PM
Acid44
No it doesn't. Aside from it being a general pain in the ass, I just don't have the time anymore, my days have just been narrowed down to about 4 hours free time, in which time I want to start modeling more and see if I can get some projects finished for once.