Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-02-2014 , 01:01 AM

plugin to convert existing skeleton to be IK ready?

Hi,

I have a character imported from DAZ, with SKELETON, WEIGHTS and texture preserved, it is ready for FK animation. Both skeleton and weights are quite accurate, so I want to keep them, ideally.

But I am wondering if there is any plugin / quick method to "preserve and convert" this already existing skeleton and weights, so that it is IK ready.

Do I need to go through the whole manual IK setup, or is there some auto-rig plugin that can use this already existing skeleton and weights, and make them IK relatively quickly?

Thank you!

# 2 13-02-2014 , 03:11 AM
I go over a plugin that I use this same workflow on through Pinocchio. I have found it works pretty good. You will still have to set the rig up but you get full IK/FK for the body in about an hour on the first try. Since I use it a fair bit I can rig a character in 12 minutes. Fastest I have done yet was 6.

Maya - Rigging Toolbox Plugin (Arm Build) - YouTube

# 3 13-02-2014 , 07:36 AM
Technical Director
Why don't you just use Maya's HumanIK system?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 13-02-2014 , 12:04 PM
Thank you so much for this

I will go for this plugin, I needed something like this
As I am quite new to maya animation, all such info helps so much saving time

# 5 13-02-2014 , 07:03 PM
@NextDesign. I actually use both. Concerning my game rigs and wanting to have easy secondary control over mocap retargeting I use a HIK binder rig that is controlled from the mocap skeleton I characterized. I then have these controllers bound to the binder rig. I then pump the files out to Trax to store on a timeline for animation import into game engines...

If you want a quick and easy method tat is pretty good I suggest HIK as well. IT will give you a control rig that is very powerful. I was simply showing how to get a standard rig in a short amount of time.