Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-05-2011 , 01:29 PM

Problem with the UV Texture Editor

Hello,

i tryed to model the "Halo" ring (the one from the game which spins in the main menu).
modeling that was really easy but now i'll try to give the ring some texture and that goes totally wrong.

this is the way it should look: https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/haloring.jpg/
and this is the way it looks now: https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ngmodeled.png/

I tryed to give my ring a texture by selecting the model, go to the UV texture editor and do a UV snapshot.
i opened that snapshot in photoshop and put a terrain surface on the inner faces.
i saved that and assigned that material in maya. it looked completely distorted!

what do i have to do, to let my ring look like the original one?

i hope someone can help me.

greetings
chakuze

# 2 15-05-2011 , 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Did you lay out the UVs in a manner where they don't overlap before you saved out a snapshot? Are they proportional to their 3D counterparts?

- Genny
# 3 15-05-2011 , 01:46 PM
The thin red line
I think you need to lay out your UVs better,With the model selected do a automatic projection(this is done to make sure you have all the UVs for the model in the UV editor) then move the UVs to one side,then try doing a cylindrical projection on the side faces and a plainer on the top and bottom faces. then its a case of stitching together. You should have a checker board texture on the model to see stretching..........dave

Edit:Snap genny

Last edited by daverave; 15-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.
# 4 15-05-2011 , 02:46 PM
thanks for ur replies! im sure that u mean the right thing, but i dont understand it properly.. user added image

ive uploaded another screenshot of the uv editor: https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/looktw.png/

every inner face is in it (i checked that) but i thing they're not similar to the 3d face.

the 3d faces are wide and not very high but in the uv editor the faces are high and very small; is there something wrong with it? or are they just rotated?!

excuse my english, im german...

greetings

Last edited by chakuze; 15-05-2011 at 02:59 PM.
# 5 15-05-2011 , 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
The UV layout dictates how the texture will appear on the model and it is indeed saying the faces on your model are tall and thin when they are not. It's like getting bad info on someone's size and then buying pants for them, it just won't fit right. Also, as Dave said, its better to use a test texture so you can see the stretching/bunching. A lot of people use images with letters or numbers so they can see if some UVs need to be flipped/rotated etc.

The test texture is from here.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 6 15-05-2011 , 05:54 PM
thank you! the picture and the test texture really do help me!! user added image

# 7 16-05-2011 , 07:03 AM
ok i got another problem now... today at work (nothing to do here) i tryed to model another halo ring with an imageplane background. but when i render the view, the model is cut in some way. i took a look at every setting but i couldnt find a solution for the "cut thing" even google told me nothing user added image
this is the way it currently looks: https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ngproblem.png/

hope somebody can help me

edit. ok, i finally solved the problem!! the depth needed to be changed to about 3000. dont know why, because the imageplane was clearly behind the model at a depth of 100 (i could see that in perspective view) but now it works user added image

Last edited by chakuze; 16-05-2011 at 09:18 AM.