Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 01-07-2011 , 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Weird, I clicked the link just now and it worked. The last render is much better. Are you using references? This is making me want to jump in a try a procedural apple myself user added image

- Genny
# 17 01-07-2011 , 04:07 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL no Gen no refs...I looked at a few apples then just went for broke. The red apple I had actually had yellowish stripes vertically...but I dont know how to do that in Maya alone. I have basically used ramp shaders for colour, spec and reflection..all the same ....just tweaked it here and there...then applied a small bump just to give it some depth. I think I used a leather node in with the reflection ramp to get the spots. I dont REALLY know what Im doing...and I am probably doing it all wrong..but hey I liked the look of it and its certainly improved since the first Crash Bandicoot colour!

Thanks BTW Gen...I still think it has a long way to go..but Im getting into it LOL...it is quite interesting how they can all be shoved into the workspace and get that result! I tried it on the grapes I have but they came out looking like olives! bahahahah I dont know how gster got the look he did but I couldnt get it. That semi transparent look a Lady Finger grape has is bloody hard to emulate!! I might leave the grape and try an orange next...it is quite fun..I really should get a book on this!

cheers bullet

P.S I got the script the old way...GOOGLE LOL...it works a treat though I do get annoyed as it diappears back to the shelf if I go to choose another object? does yours do that too?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 18 01-07-2011 , 08:11 AM
The thin red line
Looking good Bullet, I think the grapes were made with a MR sss shader.........dave

# 19 01-07-2011 , 08:15 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks dave!!! hmmm really...I have some more reading to do then LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 01-07-2011 , 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks for letting me jump in on this <3. I got my model setup. And no, spPaint doesn't do that for me :s

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 21 01-07-2011 , 12:08 PM
Lifetime Member
No worries Genny!! good to have some others to share the fun....NICE apple...looks like a Golden Delicious or Fuji to me...with the shape. Cant wait to see this!! I have abandoned the grapes for now...might go for an orange..I like oranges. Hmmmmm must be my Maya...it did say it has some issues with older versions of Maya itself. Still good script though! I will have to get used to the UI its a bit wierd.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 22 01-07-2011 , 03:06 PM
Lifetime Member
I now have the orange modelled...

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 23 02-07-2011 , 02:11 AM
Super Moderator
It is a Fuji apple. I picked up a few yesterday. Right now I'm trying out different ways to get the streaks in there. I'm using mia_materials, some ramp textures, a couple color_mix nodes, stucco and granite. I'm using a color mix to layer the textures. The ramp is the base, the stucco is added on top of that with the speckles from the granite slapped on top of the stucco, in add mode. Maybe I should make short vids otherwise the replies will get more and more wordy.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 24 02-07-2011 , 03:31 AM
Lifetime Member
WOW Genny...thats an apple...wow...you have certainly humbled me. Some screen shots of your node connections when you are done will be cool. Dont worry about the length of text...bring it on....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 25 02-07-2011 , 02:43 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok Gen...the MR shit itself (again!)..doing what my grapes did...too tired. Anyway I have some orange happening.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 26 02-07-2011 , 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
What type of shader are you using?

- Genny
# 27 03-07-2011 , 01:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Just a bliin and a ramp Gen...I had to upgrade my GC driver the other day...Maya wouldnt even start...Nvidia does some strange stuff some times...my games wouldnt play properly either...I will fix today.

cheers bullet

P.S ok I have deleted prefs etc etc etc...I dont know what I have touched LOL...but it still wont work...at least the games are now working he he he he. The scene must be corrupted....so thats the end of this orange project for now.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 03-07-2011 at 03:44 AM.
# 28 04-07-2011 , 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
I guess Blinns are alright for getting the hang of node connections and whatnot. I'm biased, it's all about the mia_material_x user added image. Too bad about your scene :/, I was going to suggest some tweaks as it looks more like a lemon than an orange at the moment. Anyways this is my update on my procedural apple shader, I hid the texture placement and gamma nodes to clean the place up. I'll probably do a blog post on it.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 29 04-07-2011 , 08:41 AM
Lifetime Member
Now that looks nice Gen! dig how you did the streaks mate! I will check your blog out later. LOL yeh it looks like a lemon...I really dont know whats wrong with the scene..damn it. Oh and our oranges LOOK like lemons here mate...no kidding...allt he GOOD fruit goes overseas and we are left with the junk...or American or Isreali oranges LOL (probably why you dont have good fruit...its here). Dont ask me why...its like that with all Aussie food, the best goes to export.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 30 04-07-2011 , 09:21 AM
The thin red line
Could that be a free friday tutorial Genny, looks good enough to eat..........dave