Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-06-2011 , 01:04 AM

render passes question

I have completed a model of a drum set and due to the complexity of the model I believe I will need to set up render passes/layers to render. Now I figured I could just do something like render all the drums on 1 pass/layer and then render the cymbals on another (or really whatever combination works) and eventually just comp them together. Couple questions:

1) These objects are made up of very reflective materials. If I am rendering objects on different passes/layers, then won't the reflections (and even shadows) not show up when they should? For example, the drums won't have the reflections/shadows of the cymbals in it and vice versa.

2) To composite them together properly, due I need to render using Z-depth so that way the computer will know which objects should be in-front and which should be behind others? Or is there another option that maybe I am unaware of?

Really could use some help, would love to be able to get some nice renders of what is basically my first real high poly project. Thanks.

# 2 29-06-2011 , 02:01 PM
The Nurb Herd
you use zdepth to comp a dof pass. you use your smarts to put one object infront of another in comp. user added image

There are many ways to render something like this the way you want.
you could render the whole lot in separate passes. Then build everything up in comp from the diffuse. this will look like your primary pass, but you will have control over everything. You could use ray type switch node to render some things as mattes but still cast shadows and reflections You could use render layer overrides. you could load up the production mental ray materials and do some reflection and shadow catching.

in short its kind of a long answer, sorry i don't have time to go in to detail.
Maybe someone else will be more helpful.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it wont render together?

# 3 29-06-2011 , 11:38 PM
it won't be able to render a beauty pass for the entire drum set because my computer just isn't powerful enough to calculate the high poly geo, IBL, materials, etc that the scene contains.