Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 17-10-2011 , 07:05 PM

Render passes extreme slowdown!!!!

user added imageuser added imageHi, I am experiencing a very frustrating bu with mental ray.

As i have seen in many tutorials on the subject, rendeering passes should take no longer than rendering without passes, as mental ray already calculates these things when it renders the master beauty.

I am currently using maya 2012.

the issue i am having, is that when i attach multiple passes to the master layer (or any other layer for that matter) my render time jumps to anywhere as much as 5 x the original master layer.

Even adding one simple beauty pass to the master layer increases the render time by 30 seconds.

I have searched the internet for answers, but no one seems to have come across this issue.

I understand that the pass system should not add any time to renders, as this would not make rendering passes a plausibe option.

Can someone please help me! Aaaargggghhh i can't take it any longer.user added image

cheers user added image

Adam

P.S.

At first i thought it was an issue due to my scene. The scene has a lot of reflective and refractive materials in it, and a realflow bin mesh.

However, after testing a couple of other scenes, I discovered that the issue still persisted even if the scene had no reflective or refractive materials. Or a realflow mesh.

# 2 17-10-2011 , 07:19 PM
The Nurb Herd
i'll start by saying i've never rendered passes in maya 2012.

what passes are you rendering? i would have assumed the master is the same as the beauty.
Why don't you add the passes one at a time and render some tests at half res. you may be able to figure out if its one specific pass.

# 3 17-10-2011 , 08:03 PM
user added imageThanks for the suggestions. But i have already tried those steps ans still the render times increase.

I think it is a bug with mental ray.

I work for an animation studio in the west of scotland, and as a studio we have no idea what is happening.

There are no errors or anything.user added image

# 4 20-10-2011 , 08:08 PM
SM Tea Boy
You ever find out what was causing this? I'd also like to know.

Cheers
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 20-10-2011 , 09:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
don't render layers slow the scene down? do you have any of them?