Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-07-2011 , 06:29 PM

PNG TEXTURE AS TRANSPEANCY MAP IN MAYA??

hey everyone

Want to know how to make png texture as transperancy map in maya. please be fast

I make an image in Photoshop use ppng as format colored it black n white when i load it in transparency option of my material its nt working i think i am mission a step.....:user added image(user added imageuser added image

# 2 19-07-2011 , 07:12 PM
The Nurb Herd
does it work as a tif/jpeg/targa?

# 3 19-07-2011 , 07:42 PM
now its working....i was doing some mistake...but i have a question i go through Jeremy Birn pdf of lighting and rendering and in the Transparency maps its written that Black area work as SURFACE and white area is TRANSPARENT but when we use png as transparency map in that case BLACK area is transparent n white Looked as SURFACE....:/

Confused!..:/

# 4 20-07-2011 , 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

now its working....i was doing some mistake...but i have a question i go through Jeremy Birn pdf of lighting and rendering and in the Transparency maps its written that Black area work as SURFACE and white area is TRANSPARENT but when we use png as transparency map in that case BLACK area is transparent n white Looked as SURFACE....:/

Confused!..:/

When you drag and drop textures into the transparency channels , Maya uses a different attribute to make the connection from texture to transparency channel depending on what type of shader is being used and so the shader will render differently, like the Maya standard shaders such as blinn vs a mia_material.

Other thoughts:
It's most likely because one is a vector attribute while the other is scalar, unlike the color attribute on the blinn and the mia_material's diffuse color, both taking RGB input and thus being vector attributes, so Maya uses the same 'outColor' attribute when connecting texture to shader.

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 21-07-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: wrong image
# 5 20-07-2011 , 07:41 AM
thanks so much....very useful..

# 6 21-07-2011 , 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
I used the wrong renders in the last image, here is a redo.user added image

user added image

- Genny