Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-08-2011 , 04:48 AM

Trying to animate a spiral

I'm trying to animate a polygon plane so that it follows a predetermined path, namely a spiral shape (the idea is to have two spirals to wind round eachother and create a DNA helix). The original position shouldn't move, the plane is supposed to 'grow' into the spiral. I'm kinda at a loss as to how to accomplish this. I guess it is possible to use curves somehow? Or model a spiral and have the animated plane sort of snap to it as it scales (warp deformer?)? I've no experience in this, do you guys have any suggestions?

# 2 14-08-2011 , 08:34 AM
The thin red line
Create a polygon helix to the size you need, double click on one of the spiral edges then go to modify, convert, polygon edge to curve(you can now delete the polygon helix). Next with with your mesh that you want to follow the path selected and curve selected go to animate,animate, motion paths, attatch to motion path............dave

Edit:Sorry I read it again I think I understand what you want, do the first bit to get the spiral curve then you need to do a extrude your plane along it. Then you can animate the extrude.........dave

Last edited by daverave; 14-08-2011 at 11:29 AM.
# 3 14-08-2011 , 12:42 PM
Neat trick, thanks! Motionpaths are going to help with another part of the animation! Is there a way to scale the poly plane along the motion path instead? As in, you define the motion path and then scale the plane lengthwise so it follows the path? Also, how do you key the extrude? Thanks for replying!

# 4 14-08-2011 , 03:03 PM
The thin red line
To scale the plane along the motion path just scale then set key "s" button not sure thats what you want. The extrude you need to use nurb surface, in surfaces, surfaces, extrude options, curve range set to partial then apply the extrude this will give you the option to use the subcurve value min to .5 for half way to 0 whole extrude then right click to set key.............dave

# 5 14-08-2011 , 10:28 PM
Thank you so much, I ended up doing it like you said, converted to curve and extruded along it! Awesomeuser added image