Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-08-2011 , 09:05 PM

Lightning

Hey.

I already started a topic about texturing https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36133

Because it's getting a bit of topic, I hope you guys don't mind if I start a new Topic about lightning.

So in the topic I linked, I asked about texturing. But before I finally go for texturing, I wan't to get a bit deeper into lightning to, because it made a lot of fun doing basic stuff like 3point lightning user added image.

So I don't know where to continue. There are so many topics about lightning. And because I don't know if I would rather learn to light movie scenes or game envirements I'm stuck at which software to choose, Maya or UDK? Best case would be if the learned stuff would be transferable between the software packages?

Are there some lightning pros around here who could give me a hint where to start. I know, study your envirements etc. But where is a good place to start when it comes to create wonderful scenes (movies and/or games) in a 3D envirement?

I hope you get what I'm trying to ask you, my english isn't perfect user added image

***EDIT***

I rather would start learning lightning in Maya, because I'm already used to Maya

Last edited by chameleon101; 11-08-2011 at 09:12 PM.
# 2 11-08-2011 , 09:25 PM
The Nurb Herd
just stick with maya, there is more room for manoeuvre. If you are into rigging and texturing too. (although texturing is more Photoshop and some kind of projection /paint software)

but anyway, you should post up some work on the forum. user added image

# 3 12-08-2011 , 02:40 AM
Hey thanks for the tipp. I've sent you a PM.

I guess I know what I'm looking for. I want to be able to do. I would love to be able to make, for example, these awesome looking scenes https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=185&t=989935.
So, what steps are all included to make a nice looking scene out of a grey not modified raw model? UV, Texturing, Lightning? How do I achieve getting such skills? And last but not least, is a shading the same as texturing? I'm not sure because don't you add bump maps and all the stuff while texturing?

Thanks again for the great help.