Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 14-11-2012 , 09:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
I feel like there should be a security guard in that booth. Is that where your render farm is?

# 17 14-11-2012 , 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Nope that's the sound booth ^^, server room is behind that though. Here's an old test of it, nevermind that I accidentally assigned a subdiv approx to the door sign :x

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 18 15-11-2012 , 01:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Sign? what sign...he he he he. Nice work Gen, really like it. Hopefully not too far in the future I will be lighting like a pro, then I can put some up to compare user added image

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 26-11-2012 , 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks Ant. Ugh, I've been going back and forth on this, I've actually ditched chunks of the scene because I was overdoing it and catching myself doing that is extremely frustrating. I pulled a brushed metal shader from my library and I've been fiddling around with the anisotropy channels and I've been staring at it for so long I don't know which looks better anymore user added image, I'm leaning towards -2.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 20 26-11-2012 , 08:26 AM
Lifetime Member
Number 2 looks better but a bit too shiny....if you could get a compromise between the two would be better. I am biased though Gen, Im not one for bright shiny stuff, Im the realistic lived in look if you get what I mean? I see a lot of people make everything look new, say on a Mechwarrior...when in reality they wouldnt be. The brush etching looks to me a little deep? I would try to fade it out some more....up to you though Gen, you have a better eye than me user added image

Cheers Ant

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 21 26-11-2012 , 07:34 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
hey could you slap a hdri map there just for reflections... these kind of stuff looks much better when there is stuff to reflect

# 22 26-11-2012 , 07:40 PM
Lifetime Member
I am inclined to agree with Bullet. Somewhere in between the two. How big is this thingamajig?

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 23 26-11-2012 , 10:12 PM
Technical Director
Hand-cuff, or cup-holder? user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 24 27-11-2012 , 12:40 AM
Acid44
About time this project gets some lovin'

# 25 27-11-2012 , 02:13 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah the grooves are a bit strong eh. I did hide pretty much the entire office, so at final render time, it'll have an actual environment to reflect. And no its not a handcuff lol it's the base of a some desktop speakers. Still working at it, I have no qualms squashing some of these and going in another direction, which I'm really thinking of doing to some parts of the office!

- Genny
# 26 28-11-2012 , 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Alright, this the metal I now have, I know I'm going to take another pass at this because it annoys me so much but I need to break away and move onto other parts of the scene.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 27 28-11-2012 , 04:54 PM
Lifetime Member
Looking good Genny. Did some experimenting on the side and ended up with this. I used a tileable texture for the color and bump. I scaled the UVs up until I was happy with the fineness of the brush strokes.

Attached Thumbnails

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 28 29-11-2012 , 04:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Can I play too????

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 29 29-11-2012 , 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
@ Pixal

Ah, I stared at that render for a while. I thought about hopping into Photoshop and making a texture (I still might!). Right now I'm working a procedural angle.

@ Ant

That looks like it has a kind of clear coating on it. I'm taking it that the texture is plugged into the bump? I took the reflection color + anisotropy rotation route. I had so much trouble balancing the diffuse weight in relation to the reflectivity.
--------------------

Is the brushing the only thing separating brushed metal from a perfect mirrored finish? So should it be just as reflective? So far the answer seems to be yes. Aside from Backburner problems, this shader is bugging me, it's so unassuming but I'm struggling to find the perfect trade off between diffuse/reflectivity/brush depth and fineness.

- Genny
# 30 29-11-2012 , 11:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Yeh it is Gen, it was just a quick lunchbreak job. was having a bit of fun. Basically a brushed meatl suface is exactly what you said Gen. Its a polished surface that is then deformed post process and basically taken to with a wire brush. So in effect the brush marks themselves should have individual reflection. So really a simple bump will not work, how would you go about it? Though its a small piece and in the scheme of things Gen you probably wont see it in the render shots. The one you have is fine for what you are tryiing to achieve.

I used a mia material and should have turned the gloss down.

cheers Ant.

bullet1968