Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 15-10-2011 , 10:10 PM

RepeatLast

I have a slight issue, which is confusing as it works okay for my artists.

The G key, my favorite key. But for some reason in the UV editor it just doesnt work. I am using 2011 64bit and others I know are using the same and it works fine.

Any ideas?

Ive gone into the hotkey editor/edit/RepeatLast and changed the key but still the same.

Anyway I do have a way round it with setting up other hotkeys, but if I could get it working that would be great.

Thanks chaps

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

www.embersofcaerus.com - www.forsakenstudios.com
# 2 16-10-2011 , 10:25 AM
The thin red line
Have you tryed the "Y" key...........dave

# 3 16-10-2011 , 10:39 AM
Lifetime Member
Im on 2009 Lee and it works MOST of the time. I have had sometimes it not wanting to work...and all my kets are default..especially when I use the move and sew...it doesnt like that one.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 16-10-2011 , 12:27 PM
This is frustrating. I just tried again using the Y key and nothing happened. I then pressed the G key and it work lol. Honestly I have tried the G key 100's of times and this is the first time its worked.
Did the Y key activate something lol?

Anyway thanks a bunch guys

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

# 5 16-10-2011 , 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
As far as I know, the 'Y' key repeats the last tool while the 'G' key repeats the last action and that has caused me some confusion since some things count as both user added image.

- Genny
# 6 16-10-2011 , 04:11 PM
Senior Software Developer
Normally I use G for most things, as a former SoftImage user the Y key was one of the manipulation tools.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 16-10-2011 , 07:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
Gen's right, 'g' is for actions and 'y' is for tools. If you open up the option box for many of the actions and tools, you can see in the Edit menu that you can actually use many of them "as action" or "as tool". I think the main difference is that tools are typically active until you select another tool or manipulator like rotate or translate, whereas an action is executed and that's the end of it.

(Of course now that I say that, I can see exceptions in maya, but I'm hoping that's the general behaviour)

# 8 16-10-2011 , 09:58 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I wouldnt use the G key in the UV editor...not good...The UV editor is a bit Special LOL you cant even create proper shortcuts, so learn the icons in there for speed and 'safety'

I wanted to do a custom UV editor on my last gig because of the same issues, but we didnt have time to open it up.....

J

# 9 16-10-2011 , 10:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
Wait, I thought you just did a tutorial that involved a lot of 'g' key in the UV editor? Either way, I've never really had problems in the UV editor with the 'g' key. But it does have some nice handy marking menus too.

# 10 17-10-2011 , 07:49 AM
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I decided to stick with the new shortcuts I created, from spending 2 to 3 hours texturing a module I am now down to 10 to 20 minutes per module. I am usually fast enough using the old fashion way but because I have kids here etc I can easily get distracted. But with the shortcuts I get it done before I am even bothered. user added image

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

# 11 17-10-2011 , 10:04 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
also for uv layout, try X-Form, its a free plugin/script...useful