Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-11-2011 , 12:09 AM

Newb in need of help!

Hey all,
Im a newb on a mac and i need help!
i have a piece of animation and i want to move it forward on my time line. so i have more room in the 'front and back'.
How do i do that? when i grab all my 'lines' in graph editor and push down on the middle button on my mouse, i just zoom in. when i THOUGHT if you push W and hold down, you can move lines, but again i just zoom in.
Need of help please!
-
Sean

# 2 02-11-2011 , 12:29 AM
EduSciVis-er
Can you track with your middle mouse button in a modelling pane? Try holding shift and MMB to constrain to one axis.

# 3 03-11-2011 , 09:44 PM
YES! it worked, thank you so much stwert!
Also one more question, in my channels, whenever i click on the timeline to see the animation, i have to go back click on VIZ: crtl and re enter numbers for my controls. How do i make it that it doesn't default to 0 ever time i go to the timeline?
if that makes any sense.

# 4 03-11-2011 , 10:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
Not sure I quite understand, a screenshot would help, but if you're not setting a key for the values that you enter, they will revert back to the default whenever you change your position on the timeline.

# 5 03-11-2011 , 11:00 PM
Ok, well this may work as for me describing/showing you what i mean.
first pic is of when i have everything selected, so i can make the changes:
user added image

and then the next pic is me moving to another number in the time line to make changes:
user added image

its a pain to have to go back to viz: crtl and keep clicking on the channels i need to selected to be able to make move changes. EVER time!

Does that help at all?

# 6 04-11-2011 , 12:42 AM
EduSciVis-er
Okay that helps, I think this may be specific to this rig... did you make it or get it somewhere? What is viz: ctrl, and what is an example of a channel that you have to select?

# 7 04-11-2011 , 12:56 AM
it's called the norman rig and it's used a lot or so i hear. thats what my teacher told me.
im still new to maya so im sorta guessing at some of this....

well its under channels, then i click on the logo on the ground that says viz: crtl and it's under controls: there's ones that i have to put a number under to be able to move his limbs around. All extra, face crtl, trunk crlt, right arm crtl. i have to put a '1' in these for me to be able to move for each frame on the timeline.

the issue is, whenever i click over to another frame on the timeline i have to keep going back into the viz: crtl channels, control and making these changes instead of it just caring over.

# 8 04-11-2011 , 01:03 AM
EduSciVis-er
Oh okay, I think norman is pretty well used. Check that you don't have any keys for the viz: ctrl... since it sounds like that's going to be used just to display controls. If the number channel is keyed, then it will change when you move along the timeline.

# 9 04-11-2011 , 01:17 AM
BAM! and it works!

the only other thing i can think of, since at school im on a PC and i grew to know how to use PC controls, im still getting used how to use it on my mac at home.

when you are just on the main screen, and you want to make a change, how'd move to the left or right? does it have to be with the middle scroll key?
for instance, im working on a part of him and i want move to the left, with out having to zoom out.

# 10 04-11-2011 , 01:26 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, tracking is with alt + MMB. Even on a mac, the mouse needs three buttons that work with maya. I know there's sometimes problems with drivers or something, I'm not that much of a mac guru.

# 11 04-11-2011 , 10:39 AM
t's called the norman rig and it's used a lot or so i hear. thats what my teacher told me.
im still new to maya so im sorta guessing at some of this....

well its under channels, then i click on the logo on the ground that says viz: crtl and it's under controls: there's ones that i have to put a number under to be able to move his limbs around. All extra, face crtl, trunk crlt, right arm crtl. i have to put a '1' in these for me to be able to move for each frame on the timeline.

the issue is, whenever i click over to another frame on the timeline i have to keep going back into the viz: crtl channels, control and making these changes instead of it just caring over.

# 12 04-11-2011 , 11:00 AM
The Nurb Herd
you can select the keys in the graph editor. in the top left box type
+=(number of frames to move)
or
-=(number of frames)
and this will slip your anim + or - the number of frames you want.